+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fizzy Pop v Crusaders

Fizzy Pop v Crusaders

Whilst "promotion is the only goal" for our new manager, what would you do team selection wise, if you were in his broon brogues, when momentum is everything in football?

I think he will go with the similar style of teams from previous rounds - youngsters and fringe players.

He mentioned in his interview he's watched recordings of 7 or 8 of our games from this season so he'll know who's who.

As ever though with a new manager it's great for the boys who weren't getting a sniff (like N'Koyi) to think they are back in a with a chance of impressing the new gaffer.

Play the team that has performed best during training....simple as that! All the players should be busting a nut to try and impress this week and I think we need to show that no-ones starting position is guaranteed and that hard work is whats gonna get you a slot in the starting 11. It's a game that doesn't really matter but I think we need to use it to ensure shabba's reign gets off to a good start and that the players buy into his way of thinking. A strong 11 with an opportunity to look at some fringe or previously underachieving players.
    3-0 win to us!

Play the strongest team possible in order to get Shabs reign of to a flyer, hopefully with a 6-nil win.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1971 View Post
    Play the strongest team possible in order to get Shabs reign of to a flyer, hopefully with a 6-nil win.
    Agreed Rambo, we don't want CL's inaugural game to be a defeat, would have people calling for Yogi
    It's a bit of a dilemna, do we make 11 changes & beat the world's most successful team who are still in existence or do we pick the projected starting XI for the Falkirk game a week Sunday?
    If we do the latter & get beat people will be calling for Jim & Doddsy
    I think we're in a kinda lose/lose or is that me getting negative?
    I saw Crusaders at Station Park & let's say they're Linfield plus 15%.
    It's a tough one whatever way you look at it.

Id play a mix of first team squad that need more game time plus 4/5 from dev squad. Try and get the game won then blood a couple of up and coming kids

Quote Originally Posted by SmedDUm View Post
    Agreed Rambo, we don't want CL's inaugural game to be a defeat, would have people calling for Yogi
    It's a bit of a dilemna, do we make 11 changes & beat the world's most successful team who are still in existence or do we pick the projected starting XI for the Falkirk game a week Sunday?
    If we do the latter & get beat people will be calling for Jim & Doddsy
    I think we're in a kinda lose/lose or is that me getting negative?
    I saw Crusaders at Station Park & let's say they're Linfield plus 15%.
    It's a tough one whatever way you look at it.

For me this game is all about building confidence amongst the fans, the players, the management team, etc., at the start of the new manager's reign. We do not want to take chances. We fielded a development team, almost, against Linfield, who should have won, and it would have been no big deal if they had won. This time it's different. We are venturing on a new era and this is not the time to p--s about. Crusaders lived by the sword. Let's put them to the sword, by as many goals as possible. That will shake our league competitors. This game is all about making a statement! Ellis has got us thinking positive. We need to build on that and keep it going, not taking chances and taking the foot of the gas. Look on it as a three pointer. After all, our strip is the closest one to Irn Bru!

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1971 View Post
    If I was in the managers shoes I’d be looking for my strongest team against the Crusaders with back up subbies from fringe players to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the first team squad in order to put a winning streak together in the league as we move forward.

Definitely a stronger outfit than Linfield just now, they have win their last 8 away games scoring 29 goals including a 5-2 win at Linfield

Won't be able to give up as many opportunities in the first half as we did in the last round

I'd play the same mix of fringe and development players as last time. It really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things and if we do that and get beat it won't have any bearing on next week's game against Falkirk.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)