+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT Prisons

OT Prisons

After watching Ross Kemp going through induction into Barlinnie Prison ( tough prison in Glasgow I think) in his itv show . He brought up an interesting point.. Is a prison A ..to rehabilitate prisoners back into society with the punishment being loss of liberty this includes putting them to work in the prison for a wage and privileges e.g. pool table tv etc. or. B..to punish prisoners with no pool table ,tv ,etc and little interaction with each other in the hope that it will deter them from recommiting . In my opinion it cannot do both and maybe have one site for punishment period then when paroled moved to another site for rehabilitation. Just wondered your thoughts

I think a lot would depend on :

1. The crime
    2. The prisoner's remorse or lack of
    3. The prisoner's willingness to "better his ways"
    4. The prisoner's mental state
    5. The prisoner's capability to learn
    6. The level of "danger to society" a prisoner presents
    7. many more points on top of these 6

Also, maybe a prisoner should "earn" the right to rehabilitaion and improved prospects through behaviour and work. Do they want a job when they leave jail or will they simply go back to thieving/pimping/dealing or whatever it was that put them there in the first place?

First 20% of a sentemce punishment and then go into the rehab phase?

One thing is certain, if rehab isn't part of the process they will almost certainly reoffend.

Society wants its pound of flesh and generally quite rightly so. Work - yes, for wages: no, or at least nil net pay after the inmate has been charged bed and board. Privileges perhaps after a while but not immediate and not a right. Part of rehabilitation must surely be the understanding that nothing comes free, even prison food!

What should be focussed on is education though. Be that "book learning" or skills training in preparation for release and giving an alternative to reoffending. This should be mandatory (maybe it is already?) and potentially some of the inmates could do the teaching which would be a win win.

To be honest human rights thing has made it far too cushy in prisons. Looking around especially approaching winter at the homeless on the streets I wonder what keeps them from committing a crime and being put in prison where they are fed ,safe warm tv bed.
    I would be interested too see if a strict prison environment made any difference on reoffending(talking about burglary ,theft, shoplifting ,level of crime) but I think privileges are given to make it easier for officers to control prisoners

Is Prison much different to Butlins? I don't think it is.
    It's a place nobody really wants to go to but makes the best of it if you're taken there. Due to do gooders there is no deterrent for crime.
    Prison should be feared, free all inclusive is what it is with no bills to worry about, it's about time for a big rethink into the prison system.
    The cost of keeping scum like Sutcliffe and Ian Brady and the like is a joke, it was reported it costs £300,000 a year to keep Sutcliffe in comfort, with around his 30+ years in Broadmoor, the sum would be almost £10 million in today’s money.
    A bullet in a firing squads rifle would have cost about 50p at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Is Prison much different to Butlins? I don't think it is.
    It's a place nobody really wants to go to but makes the best of it if you're taken there. Due to do gooders there is no deterrent for crime.
    Prison should be feared, free all inclusive is what it is with no bills to worry about, it's about time for a big rethink into the prison system.
    The cost of keeping scum like Sutcliffe and Ian Brady and the like is a joke, it was reported it costs £300,000 a year to keep Sutcliffe in comfort, with around his 30+ years in Broadmoor, the sum would be almost £10 million in today’s money.
    A bullet in a firing squads rifle would have cost about 50p at the time
    I think prison is feared Manx...but only by those with something to lose.
    There are essentially three types of people in prison. The poor and the stupid, the greedy and the downright evil and wicked.
    We surely have to try and educate and rehabilitate the former and possibly the greedy too, albeit in a different way.
    As for the latter group...Sutcliffe, Phillpott, Brady etc...I have to admit, like you I struggle to care, but unless we return to the death penalty I suppose we’re stuck with having to ‘maintain’ them, though how it can cost the amount you suggest is beyond me.
    Maybe one of the biggest indictments of our have and have not society is that for some of the poorest prison is no deterrent, but I imagine, having been to neither, it’s a far cry from Butlins.

Just to give some balance...

If someone makes a mistake, accepts their punishment, does the time, comes out and can't get a job due to their record, is it any wonder people re-offend?

If you're truly going to rehabilitate someone, should they have their record cleaned for when the return to society? If not, why not? If so, what caveats (eg should certain offenders not be allowed in schools)?

If you can't rehabilitate someone, what do you do with them?

I usually think people should have a 2nd chance, but in some circumstances, maybe not.

The cost is probably due to the 'duty of care' the prison has for a prisoner. The likes of Brady and Huntley can be hated by prisoners too and as has been shown they can come to harm in prison and blame and try and sue the authorities

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)