+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British and Irish players

British and Irish players

So it seems the hot topic apart from whether TC should be sacked or not is why have leeds not bought more British and Irish players.

There's no doubt that if you were to put the best 11 British and Irish players currently playing in the championship and put them in a 442, there is every chance it could be the best 11 in the championship, however, at what cost would that 11 come to?

It's common knowledge that clubs over value their British and Irish players because theyre becoming rarer, and because rules dictate you need a certain number of British and Irish players in your squad.

So how much would those 11 players cost if they were all bought from other clubs. Chances are it would be somewhere between 50 and 100 million. On the rough basis that most of them would be valued at at least 5 million, players such as strikers would probably command a lot more. So is this why Leeds currently only have 11 British and Irish players actively in their squad? And potentially, how many of those 11 would get into "the championships best British and Irish 11"? Probably not many.

Lonergan ayling jackson Pennington cooper shaughnessy Vieira okane Phillips Dallas and roofe are our British and Irish 11, and it would be interesting to see that 11 play a match this season, to see if we get any more joy out of it than the more foreign 11 we could put out.

Burnley proved with a British and Irish 11 they could get promoted, and I don't think that 11 cost them 50 million. But is it just the players, or does the manager or head coach have more influence than maybe we realise, just like with players, there are less good quality British and Irish managers than ever before, and this foreign dominance in British football is becoming an increasingly worrying situation.

With Leeds signing many foreigners and renewing contracts of others at the club this season, it could be many years before Leeds experience an all British and Irish 11 again. Does anyone miss a first 11 like robinson/martyn kelly/Mills harte woodgate ferdinand bowyer wilcox batty milner Smith Keane/fowler, or even further back, lukic Kelly dorigo wetherall palmer speed Strachan batty mcallister wallace and deane, and I know dorigo is Australian but he played for England.

I long for the day that we do go British and Irish both players and manager, preferably Yorkshire lads promoted from our academy, however I've I feeling now that even the academy is now half foreign, it's just not going to happen any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, some of our current foreigners are good players, berardi jansson alioski hernandez Saiz and lasogga in my opinion can play at this level, if given the proper chance to do so, and I still believe that Thomas Christiansen can coach at this level successfully, but they're all still learning and quite new to this division, and I don't think it would hurt to allow our British and Irish players to show them the way forward. Let's see what happens, starting with us beating monkey boys Middlesbrough. MOT!!!

Not gonna happen Clive lad. Unless someone like Mick McCarthy becomes manager overnight, and even then?

Nationality makes no difference. Wolves are top of league and their squad is less British than ours. If they're good enough and given time to adapt they'll do just as well.

I still think this team is only 2 players away from a top 2 team, if we added Kyle Bartley back in and a proper left back I think we would be set.

We have a left back, who plays for the shirt more than most, he just never gets to play there! (And he's not British or Irish, but he's more Leeds than many who are!)
    Last edited by WTF11; 10-11-2017 at 07:26 PM.

We've got two English full backs -Lewie Coyle & Tyler Denton both 22 out on loan secured on extended contracts at the 'mo ........
    Looking at Coyles tackle this week that got him a red ...... he Defo plays for the shirt too. ��

I was referring to Berardi

Like I said on a different thread, bring coyle back as he's winning man of the match regularly, and also bring back mallik wilks and give him a go up front, even as a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsORichSenior View Post
    The point about Coyles red card?

That it wasn't justified?

That even when not playing for Leeds, our players still get singled out?

Can't see anything else of note.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    The point about Coyles red card?

That it wasn't justified?

That even when not playing for Leeds, our players still get singled out?

Can't see anything else of note.
    Friday evenings are my Skype hours and breaks reading pop up notifications on my lappy ease the language grey brain cell matter overload ..............

So my dear WTF11 -
    Justified ? Not a red,he pulled out of a 'potential' forceful challenge,so no intent imo ...........
    Singled out ? Nope.
    Anything else of note ?
    Well, the Keeper vids were an attempt of humour & made me laugh when some cad forwarded them to me earlier (noting a 25 year old at Chelsea was soon due a testimonial even 'tho never making the first team) - crazy eh !

Berardi ? 'Does what it says on the can' end of.
    They say successful people ask better questions and as a result get better answers ........
    MOT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)