+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Does our squad age matter?

Does our squad age matter?

See the DT is going on about our squad having an older average age than the rest of the top six, but does it really matter? They’re hardly ‘over the hill’ and more to the point...if this side was to somehow go up this season then 75-80% of them would need replacing anyway if we are to be remotely competitive next season.

Maybe the plan is to buy experienced players to get us in the premier and see what happens. Even if we are a yoyo club for a few seasons the money will be coming in. If we don't get a promotion soon the gulf between premier and championship will be huge with relegated premier clubs rich with parachute payments

Work in progress. Both GR and Mel have said that the plan is to utilise the Academy products more, quite a few of whom are in and around the senior squad already. Shipping out Anya, Weimann, Shackell, Olsson (most of which are intended for the January clear out of we can persuade other clubs to take them) and giving a chance to Lowe, Bennett, Bird and others will immediately lower the average age which is currently around 28 but has been as low as 22 or 23 in the past couple of seasons.

I don't think this is anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Work in progress. Both GR and Mel have said that the plan is to utilise the Academy products more, quite a few of whom are in and around the senior squad already. Shipping out Anya, Weimann, Shackell, Olsson (most of which are intended for the January clear out of we can persuade other clubs to take them) and giving a chance to Lowe, Bennett, Bird and others will immediately lower the average age which is currently around 28 but has been as low as 22 or 23 in the past couple of seasons.

I don't think this is anything to worry about.
    I agree MA...what gets us up might have little to do with what tries to keep us there. Certainly hope so!
    Still like to see Anya given more of a chance. Talented and versatile imo. We need some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I agree MA...what gets us up might have little to do with what tries to keep us there. Certainly hope so!
    Still like to see Anya given more of a chance. Talented and versatile imo. We need some of that.
    Got no chance then, has he?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I think Anya is a versatile talented player too ramAnag and should be on the bench at least, he can play in so many positions it seems weird he's not involved in anyway? Not to get in the squad seems that there is something amiss, what I don't know!

Find it hard to believe that nobody from the DET or Radio Derby have be asked GR why Anya has been locked out I know he his under pressure to reduce the wage bill but surely there are plenty to get out the door before Anya

Anya offers flexibility when chasing a game, he can replace Wisdom and give us an extra attacking dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Anya offers flexibility when chasing a game, he can replace Wisdom and give us an extra attacking dimension.
    Maybe Rowett,like Cloughie Jr, likes his full backs to be defenders first both Forsyth and. Wisdom decent in the air and both played in central defence at times. Doesn't seem too keen on attacking full backs like Christie and Olsen and Anya who had a mom performance at RB with Scotland

If Derby are in the play-offs zone in say March, then the experienced players will be crucial. But to get there, I think you need young legs.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)