+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Footballers You've Met And Chatted To .

Footballers You've Met And Chatted To .

Derek Bell and Tommy Graham with their wags outside the old Queens Hotel .

Allan Clarke on Barnsley Market doing some promotion work for the club during his first spell one summers afternoon .

Norman Hunter and Ronnie Glavin at a Nike soccer school at Shaw Lane in 1993 , Eric Cantona was there too but we didn't chat .

David Batty in a fish n chip shop in Filey , surprisingly friendly and talked about Leeds in league one , wasn't too complimentary about the situation as it was then .

Danny Wilson at an open day , he hadn't replaced Gerry Taggart and I asked him if he was close to signing anyone .

Darren Sheridan who was drawing some money out of a cash machine in town before a game in our PL promotion season , " good luck today Shez " " no problem " he replied , we lost 1-0 to Brum !!! .

Neil Redfearn in Meadowhall the month after our promotion to the PL , we talked for 10 minutes , what a guy , totally grounded and sincere .

Dave Watson who presented the prizes at our presentation evening in 1996 , proper nice kid and stayed the whole evening .

Fred Robinson ex Doncaster Rovers and Huddersfield Town who I played against in a Sheffield Sunday cup tie , " you fecking dirty bstrd " I said " shut your mouth you winging tw@t " he replied

Just a few off the top of my head .

Georgie Hamstead working in M&S eurochange - lovely man! Brilliant left winger with a sweet left foot!
    Georgi Hristov crouching behind a wall with us at St Andrews (play off semi) whilst 100s of Brum fans chucking bottles & bricks at us (4-0 to us, the losers/nutters)

Oh, r kid played against Kenny Brown who smashed him in the face with an elbow! Git!

Has a Chin wag wi Mel Sterland at Donny raced a few year agu. Decent blowk although I insulted him by sayin is your missus still with you? I'd read his book see just before our encounter and there's many a gambling story in it, tales of woe as well as other things. I don't know why I said it but it just came out. He were oreight and laughed it off. He told me abart scoring at Oakwell once and running darn touchline ont brewery stand getting a barrage of abuse off the home section. I asked him abart Wednesday and he was less than complimentary adding how shyte they were and how the standard had gone from his days with the club.

Sin Bestie at Manchester Piccadilly after our 1-1 FA cup in 1998 at old Trafford. We were sloshed and are kid said summat to him which he replied to but it's a bit hazy.

Met Hirsty int towd Social Club afooar West Brom home game in 1993. He came over and Sat darn wi mi favver and me. I were only bashful 14 year old and dunt ev a clue what to say to him. I was starstruck for the 1st time.

Met Eddie Gray on a train to London once. Nice fella and what a player he was. Them goals against Burnley were world class.

Met Paul Reid on wolley golf cooarse only briefly.

Can't think o any mooar off top o mi eeard

Taken penalties in a competition against Neville Southall and Chris Woods.
    Jamie Clapham- Family relation, Jason Scotland, Matty Holland at a party.
    Sam Clucas - Girlfriend worked with my Wife.
    Andy Goram - regular in pub, Steve Froggatt - played in same team as kids
    Paul Futcher - at coaching session as a kid, made my day as was my idol growing up
    James Rodwell - CEO at S****horpe if he counts? - Played youth football together
    Few others who can’t remember names of from lower leagues

Mated abart with Ian Evans, was my partner in card schools and Dominos in pub.
    Played in same team as Alan Woodward and Jimmy Greenhough.
    Played in a local cup final with Dave Booth.
    Spoke to Pat Howard 100's of times as he's a relation.
    and a few more.

Introduced to all Premiership side in 1998 when i was mascot. Bolton at home FA cup. Won 1-0. Awful weather. John Hendrie introduced me to everyone as he was my favourite player. What a gentleman he is. Ashley Ward was a really nice bloke too. Redders I remember just bring really focussed. Didn’t say much. Peter Beardsley was at Bolton then and he was a top bloke.

Brian Flynn in a hotel,in Burnley, when I was in digs there for a week.
    Brian Mahoney... spoke to him in a club he was steward in in Huddersfield.
    Bobby Collins, at a Charity Rugby game.
    John McSeveney, supped plenty with his son.
    Les Lea had a seat behind me in the Lower east and spoke plenty . Lovely fella..
    Paul Futcher, Taught at a college opposite where I worked and came in a few times.
    Frank Worthington too....
    Jimmy Lawson Ex Huddersfield. Good friend of mine. (Trevor Cherry through Jimmy)
    Last edited by Jules88; 10-11-2017 at 11:46 PM.

P1ssed in next urinal to Emlyn Hughes.
    Didn't speyk--well tha dun't duz tha.
    He just glanced across with envy on his face.

Forgot about Wayne Biggins who came to my old place of work and collected up all the broken pallets in his little truck and ran his own business repairing em and selling them on .

Always made sure he got a few new ones carefully hidden amongst the shyte , well he scored a few goals for us so I was happy to help him along .

Talked well of the club and his nights out with Gerry Taggart , different culture in football then but as Pass alluded to it didn't half build team spirit .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast