+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England v Germany

England v Germany

What are your thoughts on our performance. It was only a kick about, but I thought they did reasonably ok some were trying to hard to impress. Could have snatched it with the last kick.

Was refreshing to see have a go attitude.
    No pressure on a result but I'm sure England v Germany fixtures there is no friendly.
    Loftus character looks a decent addition?.
    Like vardy stretching the back line.
    Loved the way our fullbacks overlapped.
    But can we piece the jigsaw together.
    Been too many years of might of been

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mac pie View Post
    Was refreshing to see have a go attitude.
    No pressure on a result but I'm sure England v Germany fixtures there is no friendly.
    Loftus character looks a decent addition?.
    Like vardy stretching the back line.
    Loved the way our fullbacks overlapped.
    But can we piece the jigsaw together.
    Been too many years of might of been
    England's chances in the World Cup will depend on how well we retain the ball when we win it. Time and time again in tournaments, where there is a game every four or five days, our high energy but low efficiency style of play has seen us running out of steam by the time we start facing the better teams. Unfortunately, I think it's built into England players' mentality to go too direct, too quickly, especially when we're under pressure and revert to what's familiar, but hopefully we can learn something from all our past failures. It's not a coincidence that teams like Brazil, Germany and more recently Spain do well in World Cup tournaments. They treasure possession and conserve energy best.

Breath of fresh air compared to the usual dross by the "i'm the best,cos look at the money I earn" prima donnas.
    Long way to go in terms of competing with the big boys though.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It's not a coincidence that teams like Brazil, Germany and more recently Spain do well in World Cup tournaments. They treasure possession and conserve energy best.
    We don't have their technical ability, so we have to play a pressing game and be fast and direct.

As for last night, I didn't watch. England under Southgate have run out of chances for me, I just don't get what he's trying to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    We don't have their technical ability, so we have to play a pressing game and be fast and direct.

As for last night, I didn't watch. England under Southgate have run out of chances for me, I just don't get what he's trying to achieve.
    Agreed

That game was a practice match and not a true contest and I only turned over once I managed to record HIGNY. I was pleasantly surprised as there was much to like. We are beginning to look well-equipped at full-back but oh for a dominant centre-back. Be interesting to see how they readjust (or not) for the silky skills of Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    That game was a practice match and not a true contest and I only turned over once I managed to record HIGNY. I was pleasantly surprised as there was much to like. We are beginning to look well-equipped at full-back but oh for a dominant centre-back. Be interesting to see how they readjust (or not) for the silky skills of Brazil.
    Jones looked decent until subbed due to injury

As a neutral I watched this last night and really enjoyed it, I thought Loftus Cheek was excellent all match and the best player on the pitch, your defense was also very good and Maguire had a very good game but i have to say Jesse Lingard is not very good at all, I think he is seriously overrated. I would like your opinion on Eric Dier... he looks comfortable on the ball but just seems to pass sideways and back quite a lot

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    England's chances in the World Cup will depend on how well we retain the ball when we win it. Time and time again in tournaments, where there is a game every four or five days, our high energy but low efficiency style of play has seen us running out of steam by the time we start facing the better teams. Unfortunately, I think it's built into England players' mentality to go too direct, too quickly, especially when we're under pressure and revert to what's familiar, but hopefully we can learn something from all our past failures. It's not a coincidence that teams like Brazil, Germany and more recently Spain do well in World Cup tournaments. They treasure possession and conserve energy best.
    Strange how people see the game differently I am of almost the exact opposite opinion. Through the 70s,80s & 90s we played a high tempo "English" type game & had it not been for some diabolical refereeing, terrible luck & the fact that we seem crap at penalties we could have easily won 2 if not 3 tournaments imo, the someone made the decision that to progress we must start playing the "Continental" way & put much more emphasis on retaining possession. Qualification shows that we can do this against weaker sides but unfortunately as soon as we come up against teams who have been playing this way for years & find it natural we fall down. We seem to now have a glut of young players who although are not the best technically are blessed with plenty of pace so I would like to see us play to their strength & if that means going more direct & playing at a fast tempo the so be it.