+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Your first Notts goalkeeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Indeed it has, it seems limited to "xxxxx is a slag" or a crude drawing of a knob nowadays. My first memory is from the cafeteria bogs upstairs in Woolworths in the 60s where you had to put a pre-decimal penny in the slot to enter, and someone had penned:

"Here I sit broken hearted, paid a penny but only farted".

Only on NCM could a goalkeeper thread and toilet graffiti merge seamlessly into one!
    Again very true ....... but on this theme, Surely Kilroy had posted on every bog door in the country - he had been there!

Eric McManus is the first I can remember and his moustache.

Raddy. The best of the last 40 years.

gordan bradley. he was brilliant , and remains my favourite goalie oif all time

Quote Originally Posted by blue midget View Post
    gordan bradley. he was brilliant , and remains my favourite goalie oif all time
    Gordan Bradley was possibly the first Notts keeper I saw play. But George Smith was, and still is my all time favourite keeper... Always wanted to emulate George when I was a young sprog, but sadly lacking in the height requirements and the booming George Smith voice put pay to that. So had to settle for right back, right half or right wing ahh the good old proper football positions

To the tune of "I can't control myself" by The Troggs we used to sing ba,ba,ba,ba,ba, Ba-rry Watling.

I met Eric McManus in The Punch Bowl on Porchester road. A very friendly chap he was and chatted a while.

Wasn't Raddy Avramovich the first Notts goalie to wear those big gloves that they all wear now?

Eric McManus

Gordon Bradley who also played for Leicester City in the FA Cup Final.

George Smith was the first keeper I saw. Then he rocked up at Arnold when they had a decent side.

The line up I remember the most from the early/mid 60's was Smith, Hampton, Bircumshaw, Sheridan, Gibson Loxley, Fry, Astle Hateley, Tait & Flower. We also had Dick Edwards at that time too. That side was ok, despite being in the basement division.

Best keeper I've seen in the last 55 years was Avramovic, by some distance. Brown, Schmeichel, McManus & Cherry were the only the others anywhere near the same class. Ward & maybe Smith were good-ish, the rest were "also rans" by comparison.

George Smith 1959/60 season was my first when the team ran out to the kop end he used to get sweets and chocolate thrown to him which he used to collect and put in his cap just inside the post.Raddy was far and away the best although Cherry produced some good displays.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast