+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first Notts goalkeeper?

For some reason, until recent times Notts have always excelled in the goalkeeper category. I too have fond memories of Gordon Bradley (just - I was a tot), Jimmy Linton (green jerseys always) and George Smith (a bit on the tubby side but he sure could dive!). However, on balance, few could match Raddy Avramovic for all-round performance.

Roy Brown.

Numbers 1-6 on the teamsheet were always Brown, Brindley, Worthington, Masson, Needham Stubbs.

It was the 98/99 season for me and if I'm not mistaken It was Darren Ward in my first ever game, I remember him to be a decent keeper

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    Barry Watling followed by George Brown

George Brown and Harold Wilson, now they were a pair

Mick Rose. He wasn't very good. Every single one after that was an upgrade ... Watling, Brown, McManus then Avramovic until McDonagh, who was an accident waiting to happen.

Steve Cherry was the first Notts goalkeeper I saw, and remains the best in my opinion. His slight lack of height may be the reason he was never picked up by much bigger clubs, but that worked in our favour because it meant for several years we had one of the best 'keepers in any of the leagues. After the game against Everton, Neville Southall told Cherry his performance was one of the best he's ever seen, and considering the quality of Southall in his heyday, that's high praise indeed.

Steve Cherry for me

George Smith is the first I remember.

Albert Iremonger

It was probably George Smith, but at around the time I went to my first match, Peter Butler had a couple of spells as first choice, so it might have been him.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast