+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first Notts goalkeeper?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Raddy Avramovic, arguably our best ever keeper.
    Actually, he most prob was. Barry Watling, (The penalty king) was the 1st one I member.

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    Albert Iremonger
    ......... congratulations Happy, most of us can remember being 5 years old and starting school etc, so assuming you were this age when you started seeing your first Notts game with Albert in goal, I wish you all the best in your 97th year.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    Ha ha. Freudian slip. I remember as a boy a poem written on the door of the bog at the caravan site at Ingoldmells;

In this place where I now sit
    Harold Wilson came here to ****
    And judging by the awful smell
    He must have brought George Brown as well.
    On the door of Dobsons Colwick.

Some come here to sit & think
    Some come here to **** & stink
    I come here to scratch my balls
    And read the writing on the walls

A very old factory with a row of "traps" that you could spend hours in just reading the graffiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    Well I remember Gordon Bradley really well as he lived next door to us in West Bridgford but I am not sure if he was the first one I saw as I was only five when I saw my first game, I suspect that might well have been Roy Smith, I remember Gorge Smith really well a very under rated keeper.

Gordon Bradley used to come on Bridgford Park and play football with us gave us some coaching, he was also a very good tennis player and would take me and my sister to play in the tennis courts on the park during the summer, he taught us how to play a really top gent. Ernie Taylor ?, another Notts player also lived on our road I believe he came from Man. Utd. Dennis Marshall our former secretary after Chick Heath lived around the corner close by him was Jeff Whitefoot and Jackie Sewell, as a kid I was surrounded by them.
    Lovely memories ....... I remember Chick Heath but was too young to meet him for conversation. Dennis sold me my first ST for 7 guineas, I remember Jeff Whitefoot keeping the Waggon and horses at Daybrook and also having a kick around one Saturday morning on Bridgford Park with some pals along with Wally Ardron's son who wasn't a bad player.

The quality of bog hole graffiti has definitely declined over the years.

Mick Leonard for me for about one game before Steve Cherry took over. Still haven't seen a better display from a Notts keeper than the Man City game in the cup

Gordon Bradley

The best goalkeeping display I’ve seen? Eric McManus at the Baseball Ground in the 3rd Round of the League Cup in 1976. Dave Mackay, Derby’s manager at the time, said after the game “A once in a lifetime performance, and it had to be against us.”

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    Steve Cherry.

Small in goalkeeper terms but still one of our recent best.
    Small in some ways! Yeah, Cherry was my first too.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    George Smith number one
    Peter Butler the reserve keeper( brother of full back John).
    I remember we sold George to Hartlepool the 4th division whipping boys at the time---they beat us 1-0
    I played at Bestwood Colliery with Terry their cousin I believe. A bloody good Notts Alliance player.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    The quality of bog hole graffiti has definitely declined over the years.
    Indeed it has, it seems limited to "xxxxx is a slag" or a crude drawing of a knob nowadays. My first memory is from the cafeteria bogs upstairs in Woolworths in the 60s where you had to put a pre-decimal penny in the slot to enter, and someone had penned:

"Here I sit broken hearted, paid a penny but only farted".

Only on NCM could a goalkeeper thread and toilet graffiti merge seamlessly into one!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast