+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A more competitive league

A more competitive league

Was talking to a mate about how pointless our league is (and other leagues).
    What can our football authorities do to make it more competitive? One suggestion was to have some kind of rule in place to stop teams buying other teams best players just to weaken them and have the player on the bench at best! Difficult to implement I know but surely there will be people at the SFA/SPFL constantly looking into improving league competition and will be able to find a way around these problems.

Yeah I know

Right.

I just thought of this when I read the title of your thread but it's obvious really.

It's not like it's an original idea.

Handicaps

For the likes of the Scottish league it could apply to the top four or whatever the European qualification number is.

So, the winner of the league gets a ridiculous advantage now with champions league money so any sensible set up wouldn't want to see the same winner too many times.

So, the champions get handicapped tae f'uck.

Let's say they start on -15 points
    If they win it a second time then they start the next season on -20 points.

Someone more numerate than me can work out the gradings but let's aim for every team having the same points total come the end of February.

Would seem a bit patronizing to start with but we'd soon get used to it.

The only other alternative is every league having one team so far ahead of the rest that football is unwatchable.

The saddest thing in Scotland of course is that the powers at be would be perfectly happy to accept two teams being so far ahead that football is unwatchable.

Funny you should bring up handicaps coz I almost added exactly that to my post.
    Another idea I've heard is that at the split, all go back to zero points but keep goal difference.
    Last edited by andoplzcumbak; 11-11-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Football is f'ucked, normally I wouldn't touch the idea of handicaps with a barge pole.

Given 10 years with Celtic miles ahead of one particular team and they might come up with something.

Otherwise

Make the Euro competitions knockout, no seeding and just get back to real football.

I realize this is never going to happen, but it needs to happen.

Make all cups unseeded.

But I, like yourself, know that none of this or anything that would help the game will ever happen.

It's all about the money.

On second thoughts, Deek hasn't the greatest record on high pressure games so bin the back to zero idea

I'd like to see the contracts things changed. There is no point to them anymore accept to offer a starting price when negotiations start to buy said player/manager out of it. What about a rule where a player can't be sold to a another club until they are in the last xx? months of their signed up period. It may just lead to everyone signing shorter contracts but at least everyone would know what the script is.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post

Make the Euro competitions knockout, no seeding and just get back to real football.

Absolutley

Ditch televised football as well. It's made it boring. No surprises anymore. By the time the world cup comes along we know who they are and how they play.

Split the gate 50/50. Aye it’ll f*ck us right up but it might encourage more folk to go. Stop the crazy practice of giving prize money out on league position. Play games on a Saturday afternoon or Wednesday night.

The problem is that Celtic, the SFA, Stewart Milne etc don’t want competition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast