+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow

Bow

If that was our top young prospects playing today then holy ****. Some serious questions need to be asked about our academy. I know they are young ladies but this was a part time outfit and nobody stood out. We used to have youngsters coming on premiership matches that would change a game or cover a first team player who was injured. None of those guys (exception matty smith) look anywhere near that standard and so I believe questions shouldn’t be asked of the setup. I’m not sure if we still are but at some point of this season we were bottom of the development league. For a selling club that is simply atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside View Post
    If that was our top young prospects playing today then holy ****. Some serious questions need to be asked about our academy. I know they are young ladies but this was a part time outfit and nobody stood out. We used to have youngsters coming on premiership matches that would change a game or cover a first team player who was injured. None of those guys (exception matty smith) look anywhere near that standard and so I believe questions shouldn’t be asked of the setup. I’m not sure if we still are but at some point of this season we were bottom of the development league. For a selling club that is simply atrocious.
    I would like to stress I couldn’t give a flying ****arooney about that spazzy club and for one am glad we aren’t in it anymore. It was the performance of the young guys that disappointed me today. But maybe I’m just being harsh since I’ve seen goodie, Russell, Armstrong, gauld etc all come through in recent years 😢

The youth set up is producing some good talent, but you cant use todays game to criticize the system when only 3 of them played. It was the first team squad members who didnt cover themselves in glory.

Fraser and Allardice have been held back by injury but Fraser is now showing what we want from him and Allardice has just broken through. From the next batch, Matty Smith has done good last few games and Ballantyne seems to be doing well at Montrose, and i think Robson is from this batch as well. After that you have Dailly, Chalmers, Thomas, Taylor, Ritchie and Hornby who have all had a chance in the Fizzy and done well.

I say give em a chance and dont heap too much expectation on the next generation!

Even the Goodwillies, Russell's etc took a fair few games over a year or two before they became the real deal.

A few games here and there gives them a chance to develop....hopefully

I think the OP maybe has some merit, maybe just posted on the wrong day and also criticising a legend isn't popular.

I'm not seeing the dev players so feel free to shoot me down but where IS the next young sensation?

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I think the OP maybe has some merit, maybe just posted on the wrong day and also criticising a legend isn't popular.

I'm not seeing the dev players so feel free to shoot me down but where IS the next young sensation?
    It's hard to say but could be one from Taylor, Chalmers, Hornby & Smith.
    I've not seen enough of Glass, Dailly, Bollan or Davidson.
    In fact we don't get to see enough of any of them.
    Get the u/20s back to midweek fixtures at 7.45 at home grounds, this Brechin stuff at 6pm is pish.

Scott Fraser
    Jamie Robson
    Matty Smith

Two regular starters and Smith started the last two league games which we won

Fraser definitely has the ability to be the most talented player in the division easily and would be a good player now in the top division should we get up

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Scott Fraser
    Jamie Robson
    Matty Smith

Fraser definitely has the ability to be the most talented player in the division easily and would be a good player now in the top division should we get up
    Matty Smith has great potential, if he can keep injuries at bay. Fraser isnt adaptable but if played in the no10 role is better that Keatings again i think injuries have contributed to some of his issues but he is our most talented player. Needs to show it consistently like in last 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Scott Fraser
    Jamie Robson
    Matty Smith

Fair enough, but are we really comparing these players to the quality of Russell Goodwillie Armstrong and Gauld? Players who set the first team on fire? I think the OP has a point surely?

Or is it that we have fallen down the pecking order as a club parents want their kids to develop at?

Don't see any comparison

Just mentioning players that have came through and currently add to our first team - those all mentioned by you added to a top 4 Premier league United sides

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)