+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Do you believe in God?

Well if you think religion's gods is make belive, then you'll have a ball of a time with Scientology.
    And they continue to make millions possibly billions from seemingly intelligent people

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Oh I'm so sceptical of all religion even though I try to lead my life by thinking it is better to believe there is a god and find out there isn't Than to believe there isn't a god and find out there is How some of the horrendous things happen to innocent people through wars floods famines earthquakes etc makes it hard for mee to believe My wife is exactly opposite church at least three times a week and would never dream of going to sleep without saying her prayers Not like me to sit on the fence but I have to with this one
    Imagine that’s a good way to lead your life mista. Interesting. Is that true about your wife? Don’t know why, but I’m surprised.
    Mine was raised a Catholic but I think she was excommunicated or something for marrying me...an irreligious divorcee...didn’t go down well in some quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    As a man of science no! As someone who is at the wrong end of his 'timeline' then I bloody well hope so!l
    Maybe you're right and the nearer we get to the end the more we believe. People turn to prayer when they need it.how many atheists prayed in the 9/11 and other disasters

The creation of the universe and the existence of life therein are two different entities!! You don't need a god to create life once you have the chemistry. Whether a god was necessary to start things off is an unknown but imo it is slowly being shown to be the quite simple consequence of chance!! If there is a creator then by all means blame him for starting the whole thing off but, even then, not what followed, that is the inevitability of chemistry!!

ramAnag Yes perfectly true about my wife she goes to St Alkmunds in Duffield She is one of those people who will see the best in everybody Don't not what's she's doing with an heathen like me She even thinks Russell is a good footballer how daft can you get 😊

But what I don't believe is all this dinosaur rubbish. Scientists throwing out figures like 60 millions years ago.
    Ok if you start saying 60 millions years ago, pray tell us about the year 57, 129, 378. Or 57, 129, 373?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Wow, Footymad goes all Metaphysical!
    I’d love to but I’m afraid not. If there is one he doesn’t seem to be doing a great job...constantly playing second fiddle to his nemesis so to speak.
    Not being rude but it seems a little different for Catholics who, not unlike Muslims, seem horribly indoctrinated from a very early age.
    Having said that, the example set by Jesus Christ does seem to be the basis of most of my political beliefs...doubt he’d have much time for the likes of Trump, Johnson, Gove, Farage, Brighthouse, the Vatican etc.
    Think my problem with God’s existence is that believers seem constantly willing to give credit for the good things but never attach any blame for the bad eg...thanks for the Harvest...but no blame for the famine elsewhere...thanks for the ‘miracle’ of a child being rescued after days amongst the rubble of an earthquake but the fact that it ever happened...no blame to the big fellah. How does that work?
    I believe there's a 'higher power' of some sort. I see 'the big fellah' in a room with lots of plates spinning on sticks, and a desk with a pen and a pile of chitties. The plates all have something written on them - 'famine', 'war', 'hate', 'mother nature', 'sh*t happens' etc. The 'big fellah's main job of the day is to keep those plates spinning, there's a lot of them, and when one goes crashing something bad happens somewhere. On the rare occasion he gets 'em all spinning away like good 'uns, he dashes over to the desk, writes out a chitty for someone/something and a bit of good happens somewhere. But as I said, there's a lot of plates.

Having said that, belief in organised religion is a different thing, the Anglican Church's desperation to remain 'relevant' is a real turn-off for me, there is a fine but important line for me between the small-c christian ethos of tolerance and the large-C Anglican ethos which on many subjects has moved from tolerance, bypassed acceptance and gone straight for promotion.

He lived in Quarndon for a while so I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram View Post
    He lived in Quarndon for a while so I believe
    Lol...never heard of Nigel Christ though.

Might have been Brian Lord

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)