+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Do you believe in God?

OT - Do you believe in God?

Not a thread for militant atheists to pour scorn on those that believe in religion. Or to justify their points.
    Rather I always felt that every believer must at various points in their life question the existence of their Creator. Not blindly believe.

Do I believe?
    Yes I do. But there are times that question this belief. Why?
    There are days where I think there's no way, all these is rubbish.
    But then there are times, when I'm pretty sure there's some invisible hand shaping or creating certain unexpected even miraculous things in my life. And you can't somehow just dismiss as luck.

NB: Oh yes I have prayed for Forest several times when I was younger. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Not a thread for militant atheists to pour scorn on those that believe in religion. Or to justify their points.
    Rather I always felt that every believer must at various points in their life question the existence of their Creator. Not blindly believe.

Do I believe?
    Yes I do. But there are times that question this belief. Why?
    There are days where I think there's no way, all these is rubbish.
    But then there are times, when I'm pretty sure there's some invisible hand shaping or creating certain unexpected even miraculous things in my life. And you can't somehow just dismiss as luck.

NB: Oh yes I have prayed for Forest several times when I was younger. Hahaha
    Blimey Romanis 5.54on a Sunday morning .are you getting ready for church.
    You've got to have doubts when you see so much evil going on in the world but is this the battle between God and the Devil occurring constantly. I do ask though if God were to send another 'son of God' to earth to absolve our sins ,how would this person be treated today . David Ike made the claim and was Ridiculed. The miracles that made people believe would just be put down to magic today.

Wow, Footymad goes all Metaphysical!
    I’d love to but I’m afraid not. If there is one he doesn’t seem to be doing a great job...constantly playing second fiddle to his nemesis so to speak.
    Not being rude but it seems a little different for Catholics who, not unlike Muslims, seem horribly indoctrinated from a very early age.
    Having said that, the example set by Jesus Christ does seem to be the basis of most of my political beliefs...doubt he’d have much time for the likes of Trump, Johnson, Gove, Farage, Brighthouse, the Vatican etc.
    Think my problem with God’s existence is that believers seem constantly willing to give credit for the good things but never attach any blame for the bad eg...thanks for the Harvest...but no blame for the famine elsewhere...thanks for the ‘miracle’ of a child being rescued after days amongst the rubble of an earthquake but the fact that it ever happened...no blame to the big fellah. How does that work?

No. I read the bible, and "God" is, in my holy opinion, a total dick.

I haven't read the others, one story is enough.

Not really no but I do sometimes wonder if we are all like fish in a giant aquarium kept by a small boy as pets. Imagine if you were such a fish yourself, you would see your feeder, water changer and supplier of new fish in a rather Godlike way.

But spiritual yes, live by a moral code yes but believe there is a grey bearded man doling out largesse while sat on a cloud somewhere: no. I could be swayed by buddhism though which seems more credible from what I understand of it.

Oh I'm so sceptical of all religion even though I try to lead my life by thinking it is better to believe there is a god and find out there isn't Than to believe there isn't a god and find out there is How some of the horrendous things happen to innocent people through wars floods famines earthquakes etc makes it hard for mee to believe My wife is exactly opposite church at least three times a week and would never dream of going to sleep without saying her prayers Not like me to sit on the fence but I have to with this one

As a man of science no! As someone who is at the wrong end of his 'timeline' then I bloody well hope so!l

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    😁 How some of the horrendous things happen to innocent people through wars floods famines earthquakes etc makes it hard for mee to believe
    As I said there cannot be good without evil. A constant battle in our hearts and minds. Amen

No Piano Man, not at 5.54am, around 3pm on Sunday in Singapore. And no, I didn't go to Church.

Judging from replies, it's no surprise, the UK has a very high percentage of atheists and agnostics. One would have it be the same in America, but it's thriving there.

The way I look at it there only two plausible explanations for the creation of the multiverse and life: It was/is a completely natural process, which we can't fully explain; or an intelligence created it and the blueprint for the evolution of life.

All religions are the works of man and not God/s and I cannot subscribe to them, although Buddhism is more about spiritualism than any specific religious belief.

I would label myself as an agnostic theist, which means I lean to the feeling that an intelligence created it all. When you look at the universe and life and the chances of intelligent life developing I find it hard to believe it was all by chance. Consider this; complex life on Earth would not be possible without its place in the"Goldilock's Zone", or without the good fortune of a moon of about the right size, in a very convenient orbit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)