+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Ball Tactics

Long Ball Tactics

Surely we have to look at something different ?
    Half the time it’s not good long passes just aimless punts forward.
    Stopped off for a pint as we always do after game yesterday and just like on a lot of occasion opposition fans think we’re just a big team who just wallops it to Moore.
    Its not just it’s not good to watch it just invites pressure the opposition gets it straight back.

Why can’t 4-4-2 work for us ?

We play more passing football when we have Frecks Towell and Potter in midfield all we could do yesterday was hoof it most of the time mainly because Newell never got into the game and Vaulks rarely sees the simple pass and looks for the glory ball too much

Credit to Donny as well for closing us down so quickly we definitely need Frecks and Towell back in midfield next week imo

Quote Originally Posted by redhouse View Post
    We play more passing football when we have Frecks Towell and Potter in midfield all we could do yesterday was hoof it most of the time mainly because Newell never got into the game and Vaulks rarely sees the simple pass and looks for the glory ball too much

Credit to Donny as well for closing us down so quickly we definitely need Frecks and Towell back in midfield next week imo
    Early season, with Frecks, Towell and Potter all fit, we were playing well. As soon as the injuries kicked in, we looked like last season's team. Vaulks not up to the same standard, and Newell should be playing on the wing. If Warney can't sort out Frecks, Towell and Potter fitness problems, we will continue to struggle

Agree with above but we still have enough in the team to stop hoofing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Early season, with Frecks, Towell and Potter all fit, we were playing well. As soon as the injuries kicked in, we looked like last season's team. Vaulks not up to the same standard, and Newell should be playing on the wing. If Warney can't sort out Frecks, Towell and Potter fitness problems, we will continue to struggle
    I kind of agree with most of that but I'd like to see if Newell could play along side Moore. His bal control and dribbling is great and he finds the short pass much better than most in the team.

One distinctive thing now is how the opposition is coping with our pressing game. Their defence just spreads out so we have to use more players to do the same thing as we were doing at the start of the season. They then sent a pass through the midfield and they're straight onto our defence.

What team would you play yak in the 442?

Regards your op.
    I wouldn't change the formation but would reduce the long ball %
    As mentioned. If we have footballers in the team then it's easier to play it on the floor..

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Regards your op.
    I wouldn't change the formation but would reduce the long ball %
    As mentioned. If we have footballers in the team then it's easier to play it on the floor..
    Agree, i think we have some cracking footballers but we're not playing to their strengths at the moment are we, Newell,Williams,Ball are probably up there as three of the best in the division, and we have to find a system that suits them, that allows us to get them on the ball as often as possible, all very easy to post on a forum of course and very difficult to put into practice, maybe the xmas tree formation would do it??

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    Agree, i think we have some cracking footballers but we're not playing to their strengths at the moment are we, Newell,Williams,Ball are probably up there as three of the best in the division, and we have to find a system that suits them, that allows us to get them on the ball as often as possible, all very easy to post on a forum of course and very difficult to put into practice, maybe the xmas tree formation would do it??
    Ball is definitely not suited to the hoofball tactic - not big and strong enough to win the ball in the air. Just hoping that Warney realises that in relation to what happens to our squad in January

Maybe so MMM.
    Away from home I would try 4231
    Back four of (whichever)
    Sitting two of potter and forde.
    3 of frecks (towell if injured) Williams and taylor.
    Moore up top

I know people are saying forde? Imo his strength is passing and tackling. His defensive side of game is better than his attacking side.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast