+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sell Mitrovic in January

Sell Mitrovic in January

Has to be done, imo.

I'm not one of his detractors but neither am I a particular fan although I'd certainly like to see him given a chance ahead of Joselu. Thing is, we can argue over his merits and failings until the cows come home (the ones whose arses Joselu couldn't hit with a banjo) and whether he's been given a fair crack of the whip (personally, I think he hasn't) but none of that matters.

What matters is that Rafa doesn't rate him, trust him or both. Against Bournemouth we were crying out for a focal point, for someone to disrupt their defence, to give us something different and we got bloody Perez (I'd happily peddle him and replace him with something just as effective...a pot of yoghurt on wheels would do).

The teams who struggle are the ones who can't score-to turn the tight draws onto a win or recover a deficit to earn a draw and in 3 games against teams who, realistically, are our rivals-Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Brighton- we've lacked that cutting edge. It's not necessarily that we're not creating chances it's just that our forwards aren't good enough to take them.

So, anyway, Mitro. He's still got admirers from other clubs because of his international scoring record although I don't think we'll get anywhere near our £13 mil back for him even in these days of inflated prices. We have to buy a striker in January so we have to sell the one the boss won't play. Otherwise we'll be in trouble; simple as that.
    Last edited by Zippity; 12-11-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Myleene Klass's norks.

Good post - I only disagree with the price of Mitro. I think we should make a profit on him as he´s banging in international goals - makes it even more surprising that he´s not playing more for us.

Agreed Zip.

I'd also like to see more of a chance but it won't happen so it's best we sell him and get a striker that Rafa trusts and can score.

If he's sold in January, the Mitrovic saga will remain the one thing where I will never agree with Rafa, although I acknowledge that I'm not aware of what is happening behind the scenes. However, I am aware that Muslin - Serbia's manager - has no problems putting Mitrovic on the pitch, probably due to him scoring loads of goals. Whereas the preferred forwards at NUFC are not scoring goals at all.

To me, there's no excuse why Mitrovic shouldn't get the nod to play for us now. He's still young and obviously has a lot of potential. That's all we need to know and that's all Rafa should need to know. His temperament is bad and maybe he's not trusted to do what is asked of him, but isn't it Rafa's job to get that right? I don't know, maybe we'll see Mitrovic start soon and scoring goals, and then Rafa will have been right in giving him a break. But it's time for him to stop sticking so much to his principles up front because we're not delivering in that department right now.

Also, if he gets sold there are no guarantees he will be replaced what with the takeover talk and Mike Ashley being Mike Ashley. I say keep for now - and play him!

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    If he's sold in January, the Mitrovic saga will remain the one thing where I will never agree with Rafa, although I acknowledge that I'm not aware of what is happening behind the scenes. However, I am aware that Muslin - Serbia's manager - has no problems putting Mitrovic on the pitch, probably due to him scoring loads of goals. Whereas the preferred forwards at NUFC are not scoring goals at all.

To me, there's no excuse why Mitrovic shouldn't get the nod to play for us now. He's still young and obviously has a lot of potential. That's all we need to know and that's all Rafa should need to know. His temperament is bad and maybe he's not trusted to do what is asked of him, but isn't it Rafa's job to get that right? I don't know, maybe we'll see Mitrovic start soon and scoring goals, and then Rafa will have been right in giving him a break. But it's time for him to stop sticking so much to his principles up front because we're not delivering in that department right now.

Also, if he gets sold there are no guarantees he will be replaced what with the takeover talk and Mike Ashley being Mike Ashley. I say keep for now - and play him!
    Excellent post Hughie, and I'd imagine most or all of the non Mitro detractors would agree.

With out a decent run in the starting eleven the possibility of Mitro being our saviour as a striker who can get goals will never be known.

After all it must be easier scoring against the weaker Prem teams than scoring at International level for Serbia against the best in the world.

That's my point though, lads. Rafa isn't going to play him (unless he has a major change of heart). As goalscorers, Perez and Joselu are fucking useless and Gayle...well there's a rabbit off somewhere there and I don't think he's up to the task, in the Premier League, of being the sort of lone striker Rafa wants anyway. That leaves Mitro-a striker who should be a beast with the physical attributes and skills he has but, let's be honest, isn't....certainly not for us, at least. (I've got to say, as well, that if he wasn't so passionate about playing for us and didn't do the whole chest-beating thing, etc, I suspect he'd be under a bit more scrutiny from the fans. Joselu take note )

If Rafa isn't going to play him, he needs to be sold asap and a new striker brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Excellent post Hughie, and I'd imagine most or all of the non Mitro detractors would agree.

With out a decent run in the starting eleven the possibility of Mitro being our saviour as a striker who can get goals will never be known.

After all it must be easier scoring against the weaker Prem teams than scoring at International level for Serbia against the best in the world.
    Exactly - so if Rafa thinks he knows Mike Ashley, then he'd be wiser in hanging onto Mitrovic (and start playing him) rather than selling him and crossing fingers for a new (guaranteed cheap) striker.

I also read that Rafa is after taking Torres from Atletico M. in January, too much the same as Mitro for me plus he's a lot older and probably slower now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    I also read that Rafa is after taking Torres from Atletico M. in January, too much the same as Mitro for me plus he's a lot older and probably slower now.
    I think that's media dross personally.

Lazy journalism. Same way we're always linked to Carroll because of the prior connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I think that's media dross personally.

Lazy journalism. Same way we're always linked to Carroll because of the prior connections.
    If it's true he's probably looking to extend his paydays, he's 33 now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)