+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is/was Derby's worst ever signing?

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    Vic Moreland was actually quite a tidy player , signed with Billy Caskey if I recall who was a big clumsy centre forward lacking in any skill whatsoever
    Indeed he was, and later they both went to play for the Tulsa Roughnecks in the then NASL. I actually saw them both play for Tulsa against a Bermuda XI (yes I was living there at the time) in around 1983 and Vic looked to be the better of the two. Colin Boulton, Roger Davies, David Nish also are exRams to have played for Tulsa, and Alan Hinton used to coach them, as did Terry Hennessey

I can remember speaking to Vic Moreland after a 4-2 defeat at Highfield Road, Ian Wallace had scored a hatrick (I think) and Vic was saying that the Doc had given him a real roasting blaming him for the defeat.
    Yes I thought Vic was a reasonable player far better than the lump Caskey.

It could of been Attley giving away the corner against Plymouth but I cannot remember that one.
    I can remember going to Turf Moor when Noel Brotherstone absolutely ripped Attley apart, I think they were 3/0 up after 20 minutes and ended up winning either 6-1 or 6-2. We were a bad team that season but Attley was the worst.

I don't think you have to look much further than 1981/82/83 for some of our worst players!
    John Clayton
    Paul Emson
    Keith Osgood
    Barry Powell
    Alan Ramage
    Tony Reid
    Glen Skivington
    Mike Brolly
    Frank Gamble
    Andy Hill (apart from that 1 goal)
    John Mcalle
    and Brian Attley!

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Indeed he was
    Gentlemen (or ladies, you actually can't tell on t'internet) - please read the thread title.

Nobody is asking for the worst player - otherwise I would say Tom Curtis, Bobby Corish, Barney Bowers, Graham Harbey, Paul Hooks or many other who were so poor that they couldn't even get a regular start in our relegation sides.

The question was worst signing and I offered my opinion on that.

Though Moreland was also utter garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramfantastic View Post
    I don't think you have to look much further than 1981/82/83 for some of our worst players!
    John Clayton
    Paul Emson
    Keith Osgood
    Barry Powell
    Alan Ramage
    Tony Reid
    Glen Skivington
    Mike Brolly
    Frank Gamble
    Andy Hill (apart from that 1 goal)
    John Mcalle
    and Brian Attley!
    Was Alan Ramage the one who's only skill was to kick the ball as hard as he could in the direction he was facing?

There was so much dross round then it was difficult to keep up. who was the guy we got from Oxford who scored one and missed a massive sitter on his debut then sort of faded away from then on? Steve someone?

And who was the big jolly centre half who scored two on his debut and again, just went downhill from there? Frank someone?

I think you're being a bit harsh on Mick Brolly
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 13-11-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Neither Bowers nor Curtis ever actually played for the first team, let alone a regular start, so its a bit of a stretch to define them as the worst player..... although they could be the worst signings?

Most frustrating signing John Ciedozie, much heralded, lasted a game and a half, and I think everyone in the Paddock was fitter than he was, he looked as fragile as glass

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Neither Bowers nor Curtis ever actually played for the first team, let alone a regular start, so its a bit of a stretch to define them as the worst player..... although they could be the worst signings?
    They didn't play for the first team because they were (likely) worse than the players who did - that is generally how it works. Gosh this is harder than it should be. As for there being the worst signing, I go back to my original answer

Quote Originally Posted by What I Said Before View Post
    For crap footballers we can go round the houses on who was technically a worse footballer than the other.
    So, my answer remains John Robertson - even though he was probably a better footballer than Barney Bowers and Tom Curtis.

I guess it always appears that your own side has had more dross players than any other but in our case it's got to be true.

To the ever growing list I add Con Blatsis and apologise if already mentioned.

Bjorn Otto Bragstad, Eddie Lewis that bloke from Stockport who cost a million and never played having trashed something or other... oh and Eddie Lewis

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)