+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who is/was Derby's worst ever signing?

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Bjorn Otto Bragstad, Eddie Lewis that bloke from Stockport who cost a million and never played having trashed something or other... oh and Eddie Lewis
    Liam Dickinson, Rog. Good call...trashed Stephen Pearson’s flat....allegedly, if memory serves.

In terms of cost per minute I may have found a winner.

In 1975, for some reason Derby podded out £25,000, £150,000 in today's money to Hearts for ERIC CARRUTHERS

In two seasons Carruthers made only one substitute appearance, and assuming it was a 60th minute job as most are, he contributed to the cause for a whole 30 minutes - in today's money, £5,000 per minute.

Then he was gone not just from Derby but out of first class football full stop.

I don't think even Fabrizio Ravanelli cost £450,000 per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    In terms of cost per minute I may have found a winner.

In 1975, for some reason Derby podded out £25,000, £150,000 in today's money to Hearts for ERIC CARRUTHERS

In two seasons Carruthers made only one substitute appearance, and assuming it was a 60th minute job as most are, he contributed to the cause for a whole 30 minutes - in today's money, £5,000 per minute.

Then he was gone not just from Derby but out of first class football full stop.

I don't think even Fabrizio Ravanelli cost £450,000 per game.
    I think you’ve been trumped by Ramjet, Andy. Dickinson cost £750,000 and I don’t think he played a single game.

Quote Originally Posted by BaaLocks View Post
    For crap footballers we can go round the houses on who was technically a worse footballer than the other. But for impact there are only a couple of real options to consider.

3: Vic Moreland: I'll give him special mention but the point is that he was one of the Tommy Docherty signings that turned the club from a European regular to a relegation cert. We also had to watch him week in week out getting turned over by Kenny Dalglish on the opening credits to Grandstand.

2: Bob Malcolm: Indicative of the Davies era, played one great game then vanished without trace. Contract paid up coz we couldn't sell him and was never seen of again in the professional game. The impact of those purchases (all the way from Fielhaber to Fagan) are still being felt at this club.

1: John Robertson: The deal that caused Taylor and Clough to never speak again, and for almost zero benefit. No player can even start to claim a worse impact on this club than that he permanently soured the relationship between the greatest management duo not only this club but any club has ever seen.
    Never thought of it in this way, but you're right, John Robertson my favourite Forest player, could arguably be the worst signing because of the impact he had on the club's 2 (out of 3) greatest managers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)