+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess Who !!! 3

Guess Who !!! 3

I believe 4 of these photos are post Ron Atkinson and 1 red herring.

Name:  Marcus Allback 2.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  7.2 KB

Name:  Alex McLeish.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  Jlloyd Samuel.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  Didier Six.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  Guy Whittingham.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  11.8 KB

Even my shot memory remembers these under achievers Rosie, although Didier did have a fine game v Man U.

Alback
    Big Feck
    J Lloyd Samuel
    Didier Six
    Guy Whittingham

Well done Exiled. ⭐️

When Guy Whittingham went to Sheffield Wednesday Ian Taylor came the other way. Whether it was a swap or money was exchanged I don’t know.

I will be honest apart from his name the only thing I can remember about Didier Six was his hair.

I would agree with you Rosie. I don’t know if it was the name and the mystique of a French player in our team rather than the player himself that got us all excited. He could be tricky, fast and exciting. Along with being weak, inconsistent and a horrendous diver.
    Whittingham, prolific at Pompey, was sh1te for us and I think we did pay a fee plus Whittingham for Taylor (Dave or Foxy will know), so probably one of the best bit of business that the Villa have ever done, behind only Sir Dennis, Withe and McGrath for me. So Whittingham did play a hugely positive role in AVFC history after all .

Exiled I think we got Taylor for around £1.5m & Whittingham went for between £700 - 900k I don’t recall if it was initially a combined deal but it may have been
    Re Whittingham he scored shed loads of goals for Pompey but only managed about 4 or 5 for us,yet another striker who we have signed who is prolific for the selling club but can’t hit a barn door when we sign them
    Does this remind you of any others that have followed him?
    Could be an interesting list

UTV

Bin a few mate, and I could be accused of being harsh but:

Trash Fash
    Baros (although he did net against small heath)
    Philips (see Baros)
    Geddis (see Baros)
    RMC
    Cascarino
    Aspinall
    Savo
    Balaban
    Hogan

That’s a good start mate,I can go back a little further to when we signed Alan Evans from Liverpool for about £80k,we were in the old third division then so that was a lot of dosh
    imo the common denominator with most of the signings you’ve mentioned is that we either play them out of position or almost certainly do not supplied them when played in the role they were purchased for
    UTV

I’m only a pup (1964) Foxy, and the 1st new signing that I can remember was Andy Lochead from Leicester, I remember me Dad telling me about him signing. Bruce Rioch was my favorite player back then but I don’t remember him signing. I was gutted when he left, so I latched onto Brian Little, who remains my favorite to this day.
    I quite liked Leighton Phillips, probably cos me Mom was Welsh but he wasn’t really that great, not to a pre-****ager anyway.
    I can’t remember who our (imo) 1st sh1te singing was, probably cos I thought they were all great players til I was in my ****s. I never really took to Frank Carradus for some reason, never bloody scored and back then I didn’t really appreciate assists, Andy Gray must’ve done tho.
    Footy was so much fun when it wasn’t wall to wall tv. Dad used to hand over the sports pages every day for me to scour the Villa. The ‘Pink Argos’ at 6pm on a Saturday (at New St station) was the highlight of the week. Even the early editions with only HT scores in the ‘Stop Press’ at the bottom, and pictures for the bedroom wall.
    FCK, I feel old.

Despite not being prolific he helped us out the 3rd division and a third place finish in division 2 the next season.

I'm a 1970 younger pup and first started watching us in the days of Little,Gray,Deehan,Burridge et al (amazing how this all comes to mind in an instant). Morley was my favourite, always a sense of anticipation when he'd pick the ball up and run at defences.

The sh1te players from back in the day post Rotterdam for me were:

Stainrod
    Sims
    Hodge
    Callaghan
    Ormondroyd (although something of a cult figure)
    Poole

More recently

Grant Holt
    Chris Sutton
    Leonardsen
    Berger
    Pires
    Johnsen
    Djemba Djemba
    Alpay
    Westwood
    Ireland
    Carlton Cole
    Joe Cole
    Sidwell
    Shorey
    Routledge
    Sidwell
    Ridgewell

Some not bad players before they got to VP granted.

What about the gems that we let go - Davis, Cahill,Baker,Robinson,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)