+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shearer and headers

Good to hear supersub or is that superman!
    Yes I suspect a lot of players wouldn’t come forward, unless there was a compensation scheme for them and their families.

Given the amount of money the PL gets surely some of that could go to a scheme for all footballers rather than for inflating player values and agent fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    It was an interesting exercise, however, we are all different and my heading a ball may well not have the same effect as BT heading the ball.
    I fractured my skull when I was 10 years old and I went on to play football at a decent level until I was 58 years old. I always played as a full back or centre back and was never afraid to head the ball. My early years were spent playing with the old leather ball which did indeed gain weight in wet weather, however, as far as I am aware, I do not seem to have any problems and I am 71 this year. Hopefully, I will continue to be OK and, according to a friend who has studied these matters, I have a good chance because I am ambidextrous and my brain compensates differently!

Having said that, it is obvious that certain players, as seen last night, have been affected by carrying out their profession as footballers and heading the ball and it is only right that the FA accept that this is the case and look after their interests. The PFA really need to be looking at this problem, however, as was shown by Chris Nicholl, who has not consulted a doctor in spite of having problems, it would rely on players coming forward and admitting they are struggling.
    Phook me Ashy,those leather balls really hurt your head didn't they,especially when covered in mud.. I once headed one where the laces were and carried the lace marks on my forehead for a few days.. Ouch..Great times though..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Phook me Ashy,those leather balls really hurt your head didn't they,especially when covered in mud.. I once headed one where the laces were and carried the lace marks on my forehead for a few days.. Ouch..Great times though..
    They certainly did hurt alf, however, it was the way that the game was in those formative years. As you say, heading the lace was a real experience! Great times indeed.

Research started with £1M
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41970624

Astle's daughter Dawn says she has been contacted by the families of more than 300 former players with dementia.
    Some have said they are willing to approve post mortem analysis and the creation of a "brain bank" if that advances understanding of the link between playing football and the risk of developing dementia.
    Research in the US on the impact of American football has involved large numbers of autopsies.
    A recent Boston University study of the brains of 202 former players found that 87% showed signs of CTE.

News of the funding by the Drake Foundation comes ahead of an expected announcement of a major research study by the Football Association.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Research started with £1M
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41970624

Astle's daughter Dawn says she has been contacted by the families of more than 300 former players with dementia.
    Some have said they are willing to approve post mortem analysis and the creation of a "brain bank" if that advances understanding of the link between playing football and the risk of developing dementia.
    Research in the US on the impact of American football has involved large numbers of autopsies.
    A recent Boston University study of the brains of 202 former players found that 87% showed signs of CTE.

News of the funding by the Drake Foundation comes ahead of an expected announcement of a major research study by the Football Association.
    whatever causes dementia,it's great to see money being pumped into it to try and help the cause,my best mate died with it a few months ago,it's a horrible horrible illness and I wouldn't wish it upon anybody after seeing what my mate went through..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)