+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your view on video refs in football

I think they should bring in video reveiws just for Stuart Attwell

Never quite got over the Forest match (was it 2008)

Love to sit him down and make him explain his decision on the Addison goal, apart from the penalty pull back decision.

Sat in the North stand right in line ,never forgive the fool.

Public apology needed to all Derby fans

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post

Love to sit him down and make him explain his decision on the Addison goal, apart from the penalty pull back decision.

I love someone who can't let go of a grudge. I feel the same about Jack Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post

Was it really that long ago???

Having watched both leagues where video refs are employed, I'm not convinced. The only area where additional assistance is needed is for goal line technology which already exists and the other on the rare instance where a referee needs to administer cards during a melee or an off the ball incident as occured during WCF 2006 involving Zidane.

I would advocate a different slant on it as its over use in a game could extend the game to 2 x 67 minutes. Yes, an exaggeration but done so to make a point.

I would have the current goal line technology. Anything else would have to be at the request of the ref. Not was it a foul or not but was it inside or outside the box or, if the tech was available was he offside or not? The rest is a no go for me.

The old offside rule was simple to use but even then they got it wrong. The biggest example of a wrong one was the 1966 World Cup Final. 20 seconds away from a 2-1 England win, Germany equalised with an offside goal. Their left back was half a yard outside the pitch by the left hand post. Being off the pitch didn't prevent you from being offside neither did a defender stepping off the pitch put an attacker into an onside position. Under the rules at the time, the German was offside and England won 2-1. However, the goal was given.

In extra time we then had THAT goal that wasn't. The ball hit the line so it wasn't a goal, or shouldn't have been. Interestingly, the linesman who allowed the goal was the same one who missed the offside for the German equaliser. I have always thought that he intentionally made amends for his previous error.

What I would do is to have these full time "professional refs" go to FA offices in the week to look at any decisions that might have been contentious. Wrongly given cards could be rescinded. Missed cards could awarded so that players don't "get away with it" anymore. It would also provide coaching requirements for referees and, hopefully, improve refreeing standards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)