+ Visit Dundee United FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graham Spiers

Graham Spiers

After the hatchet job on our new manager and us as supporters by that esteemed football journalist Ben Palmer @BenjyPalmer after Saturday's game (exactly, Ben who?) I was disappointed to see that Spiers (who I normally like reading) has allowed his Inner Sevco and succulent lamb appetite come to the forefront in this article :

László’s tough task
    A dismal 2,048 showed up at Tannadice on Saturday to see Dundee United going down 2-1 to Crusaders in the Challenge Cup. It is a competition United could surely see far enough, with paltry crowds turning up while in the throes of binning Ray McKinnon as manager. On Saturday even the ever-faithful Lorraine Kelly, had to wear a forced smile as she watched the torpor unfold before her.

Prayers are already being said for Csaba László, United’s surprising choice of new manager, and a man who better have a couple of magic wands handy. László must surely have taken in the spectacle and asked himself: “What the hell have I got myself into?”

I hope the first team squad do the business on Sunday and we are United as a support to show how little the media know about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant_Jouster View Post
    After the hatchet job on our new manager and us as supporters by that esteemed football journalist Ben Palmer @BenjyPalmer after Saturday's game (exactly, Ben who?) I was disappointed to see that Spiers (who I normally like reading) has allowed his Inner Sevco and succulent lamb appetite come to the forefront in this article :

László’s tough task
    A dismal 2,048 showed up at Tannadice on Saturday to see Dundee United going down 2-1 to Crusaders in the Challenge Cup. It is a competition United could surely see far enough, with paltry crowds turning up while in the throes of binning Ray McKinnon as manager. On Saturday even the ever-faithful Lorraine Kelly, had to wear a forced smile as she watched the torpor unfold before her.

Prayers are already being said for Csaba László, United’s surprising choice of new manager, and a man who better have a couple of magic wands handy. László must surely have taken in the spectacle and asked himself: “What the hell have I got myself into?”

I hope the first team squad do the business on Sunday and we are United as a support to show how little the media know about anything.
    "watched the torpor unfold...."-- pretentious garbage.

I'd doubt if LK was even there too JA?

Spiers would have been there cos was nothing else on so he came looking for a story on Laszlo's first game. Which he got simply on the strength of us not winning.
    And he makes it sound like the Midlands alliance league on an unplayable rutted pitch. I thought it was a decent game of football with Crusaders doing to us what we did to Linfield.
    Anyway poor journalism Spiers so f off & cover your Zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by japanarab View Post
    To be really honest i don't know what torpor mean's but i'm gonna have a guess at shyte.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    To be really honest i don't know what torpor mean's but i'm gonna have a guess at shyte.
    Don't think he knows either.
    Glasgow Rangers FC 2012 is the best definition.

Quote Originally Posted by SmedDUm View Post
    Don't think he knows either.
    Glasgow Rangers FC 2012 is the best definition.

Naw, coz they actually went from torpor to actual death, albeit the media like to perpetuate the myth they were only ever in a state of torpor!

Quote Originally Posted by japanarab View Post
    I’m guessing spiers has been called pretentious before 😂

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    lethargic

or in the sense of the prose lethargy

He's a tim btw

Lives in Embra, maybe he just doesn't like Shabba?

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Lives in Embra, maybe he just doesn't like Shabba?
    didnt think article was that bad - he loves utd and he doesnt live in embra - has a flat there though

Quote Originally Posted by shedboy71 View Post
    didnt think article was that bad - he loves utd and he doesnt live in embra - has a flat there though
    Jambo information. Knew it was sh1te! Jambo also told me he has a soft spot for United so this story is a bit of a mystery. Maybe he was just in a bad mood

Would your job be the reason you know that?

Jambo information. Knew it was sh1te! Jambo also told me he has a soft spot for United so this story is a bit of a mystery. Maybe he was just in a bad mood
    lives west coast, celtic fan, is a MAMIL (cycling) and loved the Levein era - especially the attacks on rangers

Would your job be the reason you know that?

no chance ...................

He's a tim btw
    Bull, he went to Ibrox when he was young. Strange kind of tim.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    Bull, he went to Ibrox when he was young. Strange kind of tim.
    Agreed. He gatecrashed the boycott cup tie and sat amongst the other 200 gatecrashers in the JK & confessed to be one of them.

It's no secret, as even Spiers admits he was raised on going to Aye Brokes. Those saying he is of the green @rse cheek persuasion need to check your snouts!!! He's now the Chief Futba man at The Times and he was backing up the Joker I mentioned in the OP, who was at it on Twitter on Saturday......as in his match report he has Paul Quinn as our Saviour for the season and he's only signed for us for a few more weeks. So that shows what he knows. I doubt if Spiers was at the game Saturday either with Palmer having the gig.

His kids support Celtic, he doesn't. He does have a soft spot for United but wouldn't call himself a supporter. He supported Rangers when he was young but lost interest due to the bigotry on show.

I think in this case it was just a bit of lazy journalism not really grabbing the lack of importance put on it by United. I had a work colleague who is a Dumbarton fan who rarely brings up football even say to me on Monday I see you lost to Crusaders. The result was noticed by a lot of people. For what it is worth I think we should have treated it a bit more seriously with the new manager coming in because it did put more spotlight on the game and how the players would respond to the new man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast