+ Visit Derby County FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Who You Think Is?Was England's Best Ever Striker?

  1. #1

    Who You Think Is?Was England's Best Ever Striker?

    Has to be someone you've watched. If not for sure, Messrs Hurst, Charlton and Greaves would walk away with this.

    But just a bit on Greaves, from what I read he was England's top striker going in WC 1966. Had a fabulous record for club (Spurs) and country. Then he got injured midway and Alf decided to keep his replacement, Hurst, on in the first 11 and the rest is history. Possibly macs or OTR can confirm this.


    For me, I would choose between the 3:

    Keegan
    Lineker
    Shearer.

    Keegan, twice European Footballer of the Year was the fulcrum of England's attack, but alas he failed to shine in Espana'82. I can't remember if he was dropped or that age had caught up with him.

    Shearer, well, he could really shield a ball and had loads of quality. Very dependable striker.

    But my choice would be Lineker. Prolific and deadly. He finished 1 shy of Charlton's record I think. A pity that Maradona's handball prevented him from a WC semi-final and who knows beyond. I also believe he was top scorer in that WC.

  2. #2
    Can't argue with those choices only that the fact that Lineker never got a yellow card showing what kind of striker he was. Prolific and deadly he was but he was a poacher.
    Always felt kinda cheated that Le Tissier only got 8 caps .played for an unfashionable club at the time but was a god there. Could just do things other players could only dream of. Just difficult to fit into a team and his England appearances showed this as he didn't really perform in those games but undoubted talent and probably the most skilful player I have seen.

  3. #3
    Lineker was brilliant and made better by Beardsley in the same way Shearer benefited from Sherringham.

    For a few years Michael Owen was right up there. He scored against Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Portugal etc and until that first injury killed him for half a yard of pace looked like breaking every record in the book.

  4. #4
    Hector!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Belper
    Posts
    6,900
    Steve Bloomer, scored in his first ten games for England and was still the 8th highest England goal scorer around 7 years ago around 70 years after his death.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Belper
    Posts
    6,900
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    Lineker was brilliant and made better by Beardsley in the same way Shearer benefited from Sherringham.

    For a few years Michael Owen was right up there. He scored against Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Portugal etc and until that first injury killed him for half a yard of pace looked like breaking every record in the book.
    Michael Owen only over took Steve Bloomers 28 goals for England in his later days playing for England.........

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomeram View Post
    Steve Bloomer, scored in his first ten games for England and was still the 8th highest England goal scorer around 7 years ago around 70 years after his death.
    Jeez Bloomer you are older than I thought. Romanis' questions stated "Has to be someone you've watched. If not for sure, Messrs Hurst, Charlton and Greaves would walk away with this".

    I always detested Kevin Keegan when he played - always seemed to score against us, yet never seemed to perform for England. Best thing he did was fall off that bike on Superstars. We need that show back - I always wanted to see Jocky Wilson on it.

    Which leaves me to ponder who was the best. The thing is there were many who looked great at club level (Keegan, leTissier, Francis at Birmingham, Mariner at Ipswich etc) who never stepped up to England level. But what makes a good striker - is it just scoring goals or is it the second man in a good partnership that is more the creative that is best: Beardsley to Lineker, Sheringham to Shearer? Do we simply judge a striker by his goals?

    if it is the latter yardstick alone, then Rodney is number one and, bizarrely England second highest goalscorer ever is not Charlton, its not Lineker but its........ there is your trivia question for the day (google not allowed)

  8. #8
    No idea Roger. But I agree that a good striker isn't just about goals. Although that's his primary duty.
    Take Emile Heskey, much maligned by some but I always thought him Owen's best partner. He's either head the ball down to Owen or take defenders away allowing Owen's pace to be effective.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Jeez Bloomer you are older than I thought. Romanis' questions stated "Has to be someone you've watched. If not for sure, Messrs Hurst, Charlton and Greaves would walk away with this".

    I always detested Kevin Keegan when he played - always seemed to score against us, yet never seemed to perform for England. Best thing he did was fall off that bike on Superstars. We need that show back - I always wanted to see Jocky Wilson on it.

    Which leaves me to ponder who was the best. The thing is there were many who looked great at club level (Keegan, leTissier, Francis at Birmingham, Mariner at Ipswich etc) who never stepped up to England level. But what makes a good striker - is it just scoring goals or is it the second man in a good partnership that is more the creative that is best: Beardsley to Lineker, Sheringham to Shearer? Do we simply judge a striker by his goals?

    if it is the latter yardstick alone, then Rodney is number one and, bizarrely England second highest goalscorer ever is not Charlton, its not Lineker but its........ there is your trivia question for the day (google not allowed)
    Kelly Smith?

  10. #10
    close, but no cigar......she would be 5th all time pansexually speaking

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    close, but no cigar......she would be 5th all time pansexually speaking
    That's what comes of not checking google etc. Watch your step by the way, I'm sure 'pansexual' is bound to offend someone, although maybe you are safe on a footy message board....

    Edit: First name Owen, said with a scouse accent, by any chance?
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 14-11-2017 at 01:47 PM.

  12. #12
    first name Owen ? Hargreaves? But if you mean last name Owen, then NO. 6th

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    first name Owen ? Hargreaves? But if you mean last name Owen, then NO. 6th
    Ow'n Golz
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 14-11-2017 at 02:49 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Ow'n Golz
    correct 50 and on the way to passing Rodney I imagine, but longevity of career tends to work in his favour

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •