+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who You Think Is?Was England's Best Ever Striker?

Who You Think Is?Was England's Best Ever Striker?

Has to be someone you've watched. If not for sure, Messrs Hurst, Charlton and Greaves would walk away with this.

But just a bit on Greaves, from what I read he was England's top striker going in WC 1966. Had a fabulous record for club (Spurs) and country. Then he got injured midway and Alf decided to keep his replacement, Hurst, on in the first 11 and the rest is history. Possibly macs or OTR can confirm this.

For me, I would choose between the 3:

Keegan
    Lineker
    Shearer.

Keegan, twice European Footballer of the Year was the fulcrum of England's attack, but alas he failed to shine in Espana'82. I can't remember if he was dropped or that age had caught up with him.

Shearer, well, he could really shield a ball and had loads of quality. Very dependable striker.

But my choice would be Lineker. Prolific and deadly. He finished 1 shy of Charlton's record I think. A pity that Maradona's handball prevented him from a WC semi-final and who knows beyond. I also believe he was top scorer in that WC.

Can't argue with those choices only that the fact that Lineker never got a yellow card showing what kind of striker he was. Prolific and deadly he was but he was a poacher.
    Always felt kinda cheated that Le Tissier only got 8 caps .played for an unfashionable club at the time but was a god there. Could just do things other players could only dream of. Just difficult to fit into a team and his England appearances showed this as he didn't really perform in those games but undoubted talent and probably the most skilful player I have seen.

Lineker was brilliant and made better by Beardsley in the same way Shearer benefited from Sherringham.

For a few years Michael Owen was right up there. He scored against Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Portugal etc and until that first injury killed him for half a yard of pace looked like breaking every record in the book.

Hector!

Steve Bloomer, scored in his first ten games for England and was still the 8th highest England goal scorer around 7 years ago around 70 years after his death.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    Lineker was brilliant and made better by Beardsley in the same way Shearer benefited from Sherringham.

For a few years Michael Owen was right up there. He scored against Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Portugal etc and until that first injury killed him for half a yard of pace looked like breaking every record in the book.
    Michael Owen only over took Steve Bloomers 28 goals for England in his later days playing for England.........

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomeram View Post
    Steve Bloomer, scored in his first ten games for England and was still the 8th highest England goal scorer around 7 years ago around 70 years after his death.
    Jeez Bloomer you are older than I thought. Romanis' questions stated "Has to be someone you've watched. If not for sure, Messrs Hurst, Charlton and Greaves would walk away with this".

I always detested Kevin Keegan when he played - always seemed to score against us, yet never seemed to perform for England. Best thing he did was fall off that bike on Superstars. We need that show back - I always wanted to see Jocky Wilson on it.

Which leaves me to ponder who was the best. The thing is there were many who looked great at club level (Keegan, leTissier, Francis at Birmingham, Mariner at Ipswich etc) who never stepped up to England level. But what makes a good striker - is it just scoring goals or is it the second man in a good partnership that is more the creative that is best: Beardsley to Lineker, Sheringham to Shearer? Do we simply judge a striker by his goals?

if it is the latter yardstick alone, then Rodney is number one and, bizarrely England second highest goalscorer ever is not Charlton, its not Lineker but its........ there is your trivia question for the day (google not allowed)

No idea Roger. But I agree that a good striker isn't just about goals. Although that's his primary duty.
    Take Emile Heskey, much maligned by some but I always thought him Owen's best partner. He's either head the ball down to Owen or take defenders away allowing Owen's pace to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Jeez Bloomer you are older than I thought. Romanis' questions stated "Has to be someone you've watched. If not for sure, Messrs Hurst, Charlton and Greaves would walk away with this".

I always detested Kevin Keegan when he played - always seemed to score against us, yet never seemed to perform for England. Best thing he did was fall off that bike on Superstars. We need that show back - I always wanted to see Jocky Wilson on it.

Which leaves me to ponder who was the best. The thing is there were many who looked great at club level (Keegan, leTissier, Francis at Birmingham, Mariner at Ipswich etc) who never stepped up to England level. But what makes a good striker - is it just scoring goals or is it the second man in a good partnership that is more the creative that is best: Beardsley to Lineker, Sheringham to Shearer? Do we simply judge a striker by his goals?

if it is the latter yardstick alone, then Rodney is number one and, bizarrely England second highest goalscorer ever is not Charlton, its not Lineker but its........ there is your trivia question for the day (google not allowed)
    Kelly Smith?

close, but no cigar......she would be 5th all time pan***ually speaking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)