+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Worst Player in the good sides/

Worst Player in the good sides/

Its too easy naming the dross we've had when we were cannon-fodder, but what about the weak links in otherwise decent sides? The promotion sides, the championship sides, the top-five sides?

One player I just never 'got' in the second championship side was Rod Thomas, he always looked a bit lightweight to me, and always looked nervous, a bit like Ryan Shotton, when the ball came his way. Maybe I just got him wrong.

Anyone?

Derby County 1988-89...probably the best side most of us can remember but somehow it included the indescribably dreadful...Nick Pickering.

1996-7 season First season back in the top flight under Jim Smith some great players Stimac Wanchope Asonovic Sturbridge Laurson Van der laan Then somebody who was a regular up till Xmas Shaun Flynn how he ever got in that team I could never work out

This might raise a few eyebrows but I never rated Roger Davies and John McGovern! The only match I can remember watching Rog have a decent game was an away match at Tottenham in the cup, apart from that I thought he was pudding. I know Clough liked McGovern but I could never see why.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    This might raise a few eyebrows but I never rated Roger Davies and John McGovern! The only match I can remember watching Rog have a decent game was an away match at Tottenham in the cup, apart from that I thought he was pudding. I know Clough liked McGovern but I could never see why.
    I can see your point on Davies, he always looked a bit lost while the game carried on around him - he even looked a bit confused sometimes when he'd just scored!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Its too easy naming the dross we've had when we were cannon-fodder, but what about the weak links in otherwise decent sides? The promotion sides, the championship sides, the top-five sides?

One player I just never 'got' in the second championship side was Rod Thomas, he always looked a bit lightweight to me, and always looked nervous, a bit like Ryan Shotton, when the ball came his way. Maybe I just got him wrong.

Anyone?
    Good player to my mind, always look as though he had just stepped out of the shower though, even on a dry summers afternoon :-)

You may have something there, Davies always looked like Bambi on ice but seemed to get the ball where it should go (back of the net). Very ungainly but effective, always remember his FIVE at Luton

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomeram View Post
    You may have something there, Davies always looked like Bambi on ice but seemed to get the ball where it should go (back of the net). Very ungainly but effective, always remember his FIVE at Luton
    Bambi On Ice is a good way of describing it, but a goal every four games for us says more I guess

Thumbs up

McGovern had a main asset ,he could control a football well and pass it better than most , can go unnoticed, also he didn't look like stereo type footballer, skinny, flat footed
    He played bit like Ledley of today but McGovern had a better knack of getting in the box to score.

Looks can be decieving, can't sit here and not defend McGovern

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)