+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T....Muslims in Burma

O/T....Muslims in Burma

I know, I know....another anti-Muslim rant..............but anyone that knows their history knows that this latest "atrocity" is a press fabrication.

The Burmese have had enough of them crossing the border, stealing their land, polluting their culture......so they have decided to get rid of them....it ain't pretty and it makes sensational tv coverage......I'm sobbing into my bacon sandwich......do me a ****ing favour

Get a grip Sky, do your homework......how many Burmese border guards have been assassinated?......where did these Muslims come from in the first place?.......why did Bangladesh refuse to recognise the Rohingya when they had the chance after the Brits left?

The UN will hurl a few billion squid at the problem....pop stars will hand back their medals and Oxbridge will withdraw their accolades.....wow, I'm unimpressed

If https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_people#History the whole history, a bit like England and its immediate neighbours, or even more recently Catalan, has a complex history in which the British during their role exacerbated the current problem.

The Burmese military governments have not been nice even to their own , Islamic spread is usually accompanied by disruption, and I wouldn't like to be too quick to be judgemental.

From the above wiki link:

The Rohingya community was recognized as an indigenous ethnic nationality of Burma, with members of the group serving as representatives in the Burmese parliament, as well as ministers, parliamentary secretaries, and other high-ranking government positions. But since Burma's military junta took control of the country in 1962, the Rohingya have been systematically deprived of their political rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    If https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_people#History
    The Rohingya community was recognized as an indigenous ethnic nationality of Burma, with members of the group serving as representatives in the Burmese parliament, as well as ministers, parliamentary secretaries, and other high-ranking government positions. But since Burma's military junta took control of the country in 1962, the Rohingya have been systematically deprived of their political rights.
    Which isn't quite the slant from the Guardian; "The Rohingya are reviled by many in Myanmar as illegal immigrants and they suffer from systematic discrimination. The Myanmar government treats them as stateless people, denying them citizenship. Stringent restrictions have been placed on Rohingya people’s freedom of movement, access to medical assistance, education and other basic services."

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Which isn't quite the slant from the Guardian; "The Rohingya are reviled by many in Myanmar as illegal immigrants and they suffer from systematic discrimination. The Myanmar government treats them as stateless people, denying them citizenship. Stringent restrictions have been placed on Rohingya people’s freedom of movement, access to medical assistance, education and other basic services."
    Well yes that would seem to have been the approach of the Myanmar military government for the past 50yrs as stated in the Wiki so two generations of folk on both sides entrenched, one set bigger than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    I know, I know....another anti-Muslim rant..............but anyone that knows their history knows that this latest "atrocity" is a press fabrication.

The Burmese have had enough of them crossing the border, stealing their land, polluting their culture......so they have decided to get rid of them....it ain't pretty and it makes sensational tv coverage......I'm sobbing into my bacon sandwich......do me a ****ing favour

Get a grip Sky, do your homework......how many Burmese border guards have been assassinated?......where did these Muslims come from in the first place?.......why did Bangladesh refuse to recognise the Rohingya when they had the chance after the Brits left?

The UN will hurl a few billion squid at the problem....pop stars will hand back their medals and Oxbridge will withdraw their accolades.....wow, I'm unimpressed
    Your post is a monstrous distortion of the truth and if you had the benefit of living in the UK and seeing the film that was on Newsnight last night (film taken by a UK journalist and smuggled out), you would have to eat your words. There is no excuse on earth for atrocities like the ones witnessed on film. Still, in Tarquin's distant world, ignorance really is bliss where it's folly to be wise.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Your post is a monstrous distortion of the truth and if you had the benefit of living in the UK and seeing the film that was on Newsnight last night (film taken by a UK journalist and smuggled out), you would have to eat your words. There is no excuse on earth for atrocities like the ones witnessed on film. Still, in Tarquin's distant world, ignorance really is bliss where it's folly to be wise.
    Sid - I regularly watch 5 to 6 hours of "news" per day on my laptop......I even leave the BBC World news radio on at night.....I have not watched TV now for almost 5 years......I have over 1,000 books scattered around my bedroom and living-room (just finished Rage of Angels, 502 pages, in 2 days), so my "distant World" revolves around reading novels, World News, Notts footy, Climate Change, gardening and my small hacienda......that's why I spend way too much time on here.

Even though I am now effectively an eccentric hermit, that does not make me uninformed.....in fact I believe I know just as much about World Affairs as you, though obviously we see things from opposite points of view.

Why are you, and one or two others, allowed to comment on Trump in the USA from your cosy suburban UK lifestyles, but I'm ridiculed for commenting from my mountainside lair, 3 hours from the Texas border.....mmmmm.....hypocrisy?

Back on Topic - I have started watching more and more Al Jazeera in preference to Sky and the Beeb, because it gives me a better balance on World topics......last night on AJ, Italy falling out of the World Cup got 5 minutes of coverage, the ASEAN meeting got approx 4 minutes, the Iran earthquake 4 minutes, the upcoming proxy war in Lebanon 4 minutes, further Al Shaabbab atrocities in Somalia 2 or 3 minutes etc etc........Burma got a brief 30 second slot near the end of the half hour.....I honestly felt vindicated and pleased.

The Burmese ethnic problem has been going on for 60 odd years, and as one or two have pointed out, was made worse by the Brits arming one side, the Bengali immigrants against the Japanese advance.....yet another proxy war was created......the Burmese have always hated the influx of immigrants and kept them as "stateless" people.....Bengal doesn't want them back, so there is a stand-off.

Why Sky have got a "bee-in-their-bonnet" about this ongoing situation, I have no idea....but filming it wall-to-wall for 36 hours is driving me barmy......so I submitted an O/T post......tut tut Tarkers

I will take out my frustration on pulling 150 metres of new fencing today......once the sun comes up......no rain for 6 weeks now, so I need to fence off more grassland for the animals......that should keep me off MAD until nightfall.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Sid - I regularly watch 5 to 6 hours of "news" per day on my laptop......I even leave the BBC World news radio on at night.....I have not watched TV now for almost 5 years......I have over 1,000 books scattered around my bedroom and living-room (just finished Rage of Angels, 502 pages, in 2 days), so my "distant World" revolves around reading novels, World News, Notts footy, Climate Change, gardening and my small hacienda......that's why I spend way too much time on here.

Even though I am now effectively an eccentric hermit, that does not make me uninformed.....in fact I believe I know just as much about World Affairs as you, though obviously we see things from opposite points of view.

Why are you, and one or two others, allowed to comment on Trump in the USA from your cosy suburban UK lifestyles, but I'm ridiculed for commenting from my mountainside lair, 3 hours from the Texas border.....mmmmm.....hypocrisy?

Back on Topic - I have started watching more and more Al Jazeera in preference to Sky and the Beeb, because it gives me a better balance on World topics......last night on AJ, Italy falling out of the World Cup got 5 minutes of coverage, the ASEAN meeting got approx 4 minutes, the Iran earthquake 4 minutes, the upcoming proxy war in Lebanon 4 minutes, further Al Shaabbab atrocities in Somalia 2 or 3 minutes etc etc........Burma got a brief 30 second slot near the end of the half hour.....I honestly felt vindicated and pleased.

The Burmese ethnic problem has been going on for 60 odd years, and as one or two have pointed out, was made worse by the Brits arming one side, the Bengali immigrants against the Japanese advance.....yet another proxy war was created......the Burmese have always hated the influx of immigrants and kept them as "stateless" people.....Bengal doesn't want them back, so there is a stand-off.

Why Sky have got a "bee-in-their-bonnet" about this ongoing situation, I have no idea....but filming it wall-to-wall for 36 hours is driving me barmy......so I submitted an O/T post......tut tut Tarkers

I will take out my frustration on pulling 150 metres of new fencing today......once the sun comes up......no rain for 6 weeks now, so I need to fence off more grassland for the animals......that should keep me off MAD until nightfall.
    I must admit tarkers, the Sky broadcasting and much of the MSM's coverage of the crisis smacks of sensationalist opportunism with an agenda. There is another side to the story which receives no coverage. Whilst nobody wishes to see the suffering of the fleeing Rohingyas events and circumstances need careful consideration before jumping to conclusions. There are certain factors which have contributed to the tensions that have historically been present in the region unfortunately, they are events which are synonymous with Islamic culture. The desire to create a Muslim enclave in a particular area, the rape and abuse of local indigenous women, the socially irresponsible over breeding of the Muslim community, the forbidding of Muslim women to marry outside their faith whilst the males are encouraged to take brides from other cultures so they will become Muslim and increase the Muslim numbers through breeding, the amount of illegal immigrants (many subversive) who are sheltered within the Rohingya communities, the attacks on the military and police, the beheading of Buddhist monks (17 reported in one month!), aggressive proselytising often under threat of death and violence by Muslims. Whilst other communities have managed to coexist well with each other (Buddhist, Christian , Hindu etc), many of the Muslim community have failed to integrate and accept the culture into which they have sought refuge and were initially welcomed. The fact that Buddhists are having to resort to violence (which is strongly against their beliefs) should be an indicator that this is more a matter of their own self defence and survival than unprovoked aggression as should the response of Aung San Suu Kyi whose humanitarian acts have been rewarded with a Nobel peace prize. There is a lot more to this issue than the irresponsible and biased reporting that we are receiving through our MSM (no surprise there!).

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    I must admit tarkers, the Sky broadcasting and much of the MSM's coverage of the crisis smacks of sensationalist opportunism with an agenda. There is another side to the story which receives no coverage. Whilst nobody wishes to see the suffering of the fleeing Rohingyas events and circumstances need careful consideration before jumping to conclusions. There are certain factors which have contributed to the tensions that have historically been present in the region unfortunately, they are events which are synonymous with Islamic culture. The desire to create a Muslim enclave in a particular area, the rape and abuse of local indigenous women, the socially irresponsible over breeding of the Muslim community, the forbidding of Muslim women to marry outside their faith whilst the males are encouraged to take brides from other cultures so they will become Muslim and increase the Muslim numbers through breeding, the amount of illegal immigrants (many subversive) who are sheltered within the Rohingya communities, the attacks on the military and police, the beheading of Buddhist monks (17 reported in one month!), aggressive proselytising often under threat of death and violence by Muslims. Whilst other communities have managed to coexist well with each other (Buddhist, Christian , Hindu etc), many of the Muslim community have failed to integrate and accept the culture into which they have sought refuge and were initially welcomed. The fact that Buddhists are having to resort to violence (which is strongly against their beliefs) should be an indicator that this is more a matter of their own self defence and survival than unprovoked aggression as should the response of Aung San Suu Kyi whose humanitarian acts have been rewarded with a Nobel peace prize. There is a lot more to this issue than the irresponsible and biased reporting that we are receiving through our MSM (no surprise there!).
    You call yourself a Christian don’t you Tony?

I’m no theologian, but I can’t remember Jesus talking about a group of people “breeding”. Because that’s what animals do isn’t it?

Also, Tarquin’s original post. Christ almighty.

Once again, Tony, I call your Christian credentials into question. Is stabbing babies through the heads with knives and bayonets justified because a border guard was murdered a year earlier?
    By the way, it's MSN not MSM. That stands for Microsoft News, a digest of the most reliably sourced news. The cruelty of the Burmese military goes back years. The only reason they allowed their President back is as a cover for their dark deeds.
    Unlike you, on this one I trust the BBC reporting. Like Beechy, you are anti-Muslim and that's good enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Once again, Tony, I call your Christian credentials into question. Is stabbing babies through the heads with knives and bayonets justified because a border guard was murdered a year earlier?
    By the way, it's MSN not MSM. That stands for Microsoft News, a digest of the most reliably sourced news. The cruelty of the Burmese military goes back years. The only reason they allowed their President back is as a cover for their dark deeds.
    Unlike you, on this one I trust the BBC reporting. Like Beechy, you are anti-Muslim and that's good enough for you.
    I am not trying to justify any of the things that are going on sidders, I was pointing out that there are 2 sides to the story which if it had been reported from the other perspective would have had people outraged in a completely different manner. MSM stands for Mainstream Media by the way (just for your enlightenment). I am not anti Muslim I am most definitely anti Islam.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast