+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: No Luck of the Irish, England Only Home Nation In WC 2018

No Luck of the Irish, England Only Home Nation In WC 2018

Martin O'Neill used to let a room to the Danish coach when they were teammates. But his counter-part was not in a repaying mood as the Irish are being brushed aside 1-4 with 6 mins to go.
    So it means that no other team from the UK and their Irish cousins will partake in WC 2018 bar England.
    An incomplete England one may add. Certainly looks better than the 1 that went to Brazil but far from the finished product. An easier qualifying group saved them, had they been paired with Germany or Spain, perhaps no single team from this part of the planet would be there.

Looking back at Brazil 2014, both the eliminated teams from the group have struggled. England ousted by Iceland of all nations in France, while Italy confirmed their decline with an abject performance in Milan and Stockholm. England have progressed, but I don't see them getting beyond the Round of 16, and that too, only if they get 1 of the easier WC groups.

It'll take about 8 - 10 years before the group of youngsters that won World Cups for age groups mature. 2026 or 2030, is where you can expect to see an England side competing for international glory, and that too with the caveat of a Home Tournament ala 1966.

Brilliant result for Denmark - really pleased for them and so glad to see Ireland knocked out after their appalling style of play in the first leg

Relying on a tight defence, with little by way of attacking threat and hoping to grab a solitary goal is always going to backfire at some point. Last night it did spectacularly despite getting their goal!

I've just lost my long response, stupid site.

Summary: Pleased, stick with youngsters.

The Irish are boring

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    I've just lost my long response, stupid site.

Summary: Pleased, stick with youngsters.
    Thought it was just me Adi. The quality of post may have improved recently but it’s become nigh on impossible to use at times...eg, this post should have taken twenty seconds but has actually taken over five minutes.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)