+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC reveals The Real Bedlington Terrier...

OC reveals The Real Bedlington Terrier...

A very good read indeed,like our TEC,Brian was definitely one of my favourite players..He was famous for his no nonsense sliding tackling in the mud,these softees playing today would be rolling over and over after one of Brians tackles.. I was standing at the back of the beehole end that day when he smashed in that 30 harder against the Muncs..I can still picture it now as it flew past Stepney and the crowd went ecstatic... A proper turf moor legend was Brian..

Thanks TEC
    Can the picture be resized. I only get his torso.

Good article about one of my favourite players. He went to school with my brother-in-law and they played in the school team together. He said that he was always a strong tackler and afraid of nothing, in spite of not being very big. He said that it was no surprise when he got picked up by Burnley and went on to have a good career.
    The mention of Jack Hixon reminded me of his legendary status up here in the north east and I often wonder just how many players he sent off for trials and just how many matches he attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Good article about one of my favourite players. He went to school with my brother-in-law and they played in the school team together. He said that he was always a strong tackler and afraid of nothing, in spite of not being very big. He said that it was no surprise when he got picked up by Burnley and went on to have a good career.
    The mention of Jack Hixon reminded me of his legendary status up here in the north east and I often wonder just how many players he sent off for trials and just how many matches he attended.
    he discovered Alan Shearer

tribute from Shearer

"Talent scout Jack Hixon from Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, died in hospital yesterday morning at the age of 88. He claimed to have found 47 talented Geordie schoolboys who have gone on to play top-flight football, including the United striking legend."It’s a very sad day," said Mr Shearer, who went on to captain Newcastle, scoring a record 206 goals for the Magpies.
    "Jack was a lovely man, very hard working and totally dedicated. We were very close and he will be sadly missed."
    Jack became a scout for Burnley by accident after serving in the Navy during the Second World War with their England winger Billy Elliott.
    He was responsible for unearthing the £5m-rated Leeds United striker Michael Bridges and Burnley’s England winger Ralph Coates.
    But it will be his discovery of the ****age Shearer for which he will be best remembered.
    Jack first spotted him as a 13-year-old striker turning defences inside out on Benfield Park. A year later the ****ager was being packed off to Southampton on apprenticeship terms. The pair kept in touch and Shearer even made a secret visit to Jack’s hospital bedside before the Euro 2000 championships after he fell ill with a serious kidney complaint.
    Jack previously said of Shearer: "He has achieved so much and I burst with pride about him. Often I have been in the right place at the right time. The Lord has smiled down on me."
    Jack also talent-spotted Stan Ternent from Gateshead. The former Sunderland coach and Burnley manager remained good friends with Jack.
    Stan said: "He spotted a lot of talent; so many players from all over the place. He brought hundreds and hundreds of players into the game and a lot of them became internationals.
    "We won’t see the likes of him again.He spotted me in the North East. I was a friend of his from the age of 13.
    "I got my chance in the game and it was all down to Jack.
    "He could spot a player and he was a genuinely nice person."
    Jack had a unique record in the North East, as he was the only scout who helped boost the careers of key men at all three clubs in the region.
    It was Jack who signed former Newcastle United youth development officer John Murray for Burnley. He also took former Sunderland coach Mick Buxton into league football at Burnley and signed Middlesbrough’s youth development officer, George Shipley, for Southampton.
    Despite his talents as a scout, Jack’s full-time job was with British Rail. His life story became the subject of a book and documentary in 2001 by his lifelong friend Victor Jupp, a social researcher at Northumbria University.
    Jack became a great-granddad in May 2006. Baby Jack is the son of Jack and Eline Hixon’s granddaughter and grandson-in-law, Lynne and Tiernan Hawley."

Supersub
    Trying to find more info, but thought this obituary and photo was a good start. He watched 2 games every Saturday and worked for British Rail.
    http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...on-man-4468287

Alf beats me to it again!
    Last edited by oldcolner; 14-11-2017 at 05:47 PM.

This is on here somewhere written by a former editor

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/news/tm...08/index.shtml

Billy Ingham was another of his discoveries when playing for South East Northumberland Schoolboys. Jack was often seen at Bomarsund Welfare ground watching their games.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Thanks TEC
    It was a just photo shopped trick to get your attention OC. The full image of the great man zooming past George Best lies within the article

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Thanks TEC
    Attachment 7190

Just for you OC!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)