+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jinxed, Cursed, Why does it continually happen ?

Jinxed, Cursed, Why does it continually happen ?

Bagapapa made a very good point earlier on the fact that Queens often fall flat on their faces when there is a chance to attract a few more fans. I have thought this for years , especially at Palmerston and the scenario is always the same . A few good performance's in front of the ' hard core' slowly result in a decent crowd turning up for a game because of the improved form. Then , an abysmal display ruins any chance of attracting the floaters and this record has been on the loop for years now.

Why does it happen well perhaps it is a combination of playing on the bigger stage in front of larger crowds simply being too much for some of the players who are not used to this type of occasion. I don't want to make excuses as for me it would be a wonderful opportunity to play in these massive games with great atmospheres and generally with the TV cameras in attendance perhaps for a live broadcast. It may simply be the case that at this level the players are not up for the bigger events. I don't mind getting beaten by teams who in reality should be beating us but what I really detest is when there is a perception that we have not given it our best especially if the effort/commitment is being questioned. Equally let's not forget that just occasionally we do perform and win these games however even when we do there is seldom a beneficial effect upon the size of the crowds come the next home game.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Bagapapa made a very good point earlier on the fact that Queens often fall flat on their faces when there is a chance to attract a few more fans. I have thought this for years , especially at Palmerston and the scenario is always the same . A few good performance's in front of the ' hard core' slowly result in a decent crowd turning up for a game because of the improved form. Then , an abysmal display ruins any chance of attracting the floaters and this record has been on the loop for years now.

It might appear that way JRS but probably happens to other clubs like Queens on regular basis

JR you ask why this sort of thing keeps happening and sadly, once again we have been knocked out of a cup on penalties.

On the 20th July this year I suggested the following:

"Naysmith must make it a priority for all his players to practice pens from now on.

To bring back interest among local supporters, - you certainly don't do it by drawing 0-0 at home with a non league outfit, - and then have your senior players acting like they don't need to really bother when taking a penalty kick."

Sadly, here we are less than four months later and our manager has not heeded the advice of the very people who provide his life-blood the supporters.

I'm not suggesting that I'm right, nor am I suggesting that the supporters are always right.....but, - if Naysmith had heeded the above piece of advice then Queen of the South would have been in the semi finals of the Challenge Cup.

To conclude I think Mr. Naysmith has done a magnificent job at Queens, - but this time - please take some advice, - get the payers to practice their pens and make it a bit of fun, - we can't afford to get knocked out of the Scottish Cup because we can't convert penalties.

Thanks for listening!

Naysmith at least should issue an apology to the many Queens fans who gave up their remembrance day to travel south in their hundreds. The team scorned a hatful of chances and the appalling missed penalties are unacceptable. The fans will accept nothing less but a resounding victory at Montrose on Saturday - it's up to the players.

I have also heard disturbing reports on the disgusting Welsh TV commentary - if this is true the Queens shud complain to the Welsh FA.

It was dissapointing on Sunday and Qos Admin is correct , Queens penalties have been utterly dreadful this season. I don't know if we had practised these beforehand but it didn't look likely. There is always a fair chance these cup games will go to spot kicks of course so it would be unprofessional not to. I don't suppose we will ever know.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 16-11-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    JR you ask why this sort of thing keeps happening and sadly, once again we have been knocked out of a cup on penalties.

On the 20th July this year I suggested the following:

"Naysmith must make it a priority for all his players to practice pens from now on.

To bring back interest among local supporters, - you certainly don't do it by drawing 0-0 at home with a non league outfit, - and then have your senior players acting like they don't need to really bother when taking a penalty kick."

Sadly, here we are less than four months later and our manager has not heeded the advice of the very people who provide his life-blood the supporters.

I'm not suggesting that I'm right, nor am I suggesting that the supporters are always right.....but, - if Naysmith had heeded the above piece of advice then Queen of the South would have been in the semi finals of the Challenge Cup.

To conclude I think Mr. Naysmith has done a magnificent job at Queens, - but this time - please take some advice, - get the payers to practice their pens and make it a bit of fun, - we can't afford to get knocked out of the Scottish Cup because we can't convert penalties.

Thanks for listening!

Do you honestly think Queens don’t practice penalties ?

You could practice them all day long but still step up and miss one when it matters

Quote Originally Posted by arrol1919 View Post
    Do you honestly think Queens don’t practice penalties ?

You could practice them all day long but still step up and miss one when it matters
    Spot on arrol.......what a load of rubbish posted here about the penalty shootout, its almost as though some people wanted us to lose that way so they have something to moan about.
    Queens players who failed to convert from the spot would feel terribe about it.

Practicing Penalties everyday in training !!!!
    WTF would they do that....better things to concentrate on in training sessions than pens.

I have also heard disturbing reports on the disgusting Welsh TV commentary - if this is true the Queens shud complain to the Welsh FA.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me what this is all about Shantytan - I watched the game on Skye with English language commentary and
    can only remember one comment made by the pre - match pundits saying some Queens players were '' past it ''

Arrol and McGuffie you are perfectly entitled to your points of view, - however Queens have very sadly been knocked out of two competitions this season as a consequence of not converting their penalties.

A golfer will always practice his short game by completing numerous putts and I believe that professional footballers should do the same every day with regards to penalties, - even if its just a bit of fun at the end of a training session.

A penalty kick is awarded regularly in league games (not just cup competitions) and it is a gilt edged opportunity to capitalise. If you are confident about penalties - you will probably score, - but if you are nervous because you don't practice.........you might not.

Tomorrow night, lets hope that Montrose don't simply pack the defence and hold out for penalties!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)