+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Football putting young fans off going

Cost of Football putting young fans off going

Putting plenty of older fans off as well I’d guess

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41901398

Been saying it fo years. Shyte

It was finances that prevented me seeing the reds regularly until I took up full time employment. My dad was on mimimum wage with three kids to clothe n' feed. My first game was 94/95 when I was 9 years old then my next game was in 2000 when I was fif****. I went to two matches that season Sheff Wed and Sheff Utd at home and saved my pocket money to go. My first game on my own was the draw at home with Sheff Utd because it was close to christmas and my dad thought it wiser not to waste money because we weren't performing too well under Bassett at the time. Then during the relegation season I used my education maintenance allowance to go to the matches. Rotherham 1-1, Sheff Utd 1-1, Bradford 3-3, Wimbledon 1-1, Birmingham 1-3, Walsall 4-1 and Gillingham 4-0. I remember them so poignantly because it wasn't easy stumping up the cash at the time. So I appreciate how hard it is to get young adults into football.

It’s absolutely repulsive what footballers earn and people at the same time struggle to afford to watch . If a new owner comes in or there’s extra money from new tv deals all that happens is it goes straight in the footballers or his agents pocket . Nothing goes to help fans attend

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    It was finances that prevented me seeing the reds regularly until I took up full time employment. My dad was on mimimum wage with three kids to clothe n' feed. My first game was 94/95 when I was 9 years old then my next game was in 2000 when I was fif****. I went to two matches that season Sheff Wed and Sheff Utd at home and saved my pocket money to go. My first game on my own was the draw at home with Sheff Utd because it was close to christmas and my dad thought it wiser not to waste money because we weren't performing too well under Bassett at the time. Then during the relegation season I used my education maintenance allowance to go to the matches. Rotherham 1-1, Sheff Utd 1-1, Bradford 3-3, Wimbledon 1-1, Birmingham 1-3, Walsall 4-1 and Gillingham 4-0. I remember them so poignantly because it wasn't easy stumping up the cash at the time. So I appreciate how hard it is to get young adults into football.

Thaz hit nail ont eeard theer Ponte. How many more families are there with parents on minimum wage rarnd these parts with kids who want to go? It's abart time BFC looked into dropping matchday prices. Never mind all this ballax abart if they charge our fans 40 quid we'll then reciprocate in the return fixture. It doesnt make it right and makes us as greedy and as bad as them in my eyes.

I thought Burton had a fair and affordable pricing structure at the Pirelli. Fair play to them

I agree P&M & Ponte

I ad a paper round an a glass collectin job at the swaithe, without them I wouldn't have been able to go to matches even back then, so I feel for the nippers tday.

What I wouldn't have minded seeing the club doing was bringing in an instalment plan that didn't involve finance. That season I mentioned above. I was paying £12 a match to go but only getting £30 education maintenance allowance. I think the juvenile season ticket at the time was £180 or something (don't quote me on that).

I think the club was short sighted in that respect because that had to be a one off payment. Just by setting up a monthly plan they would have got their £180 over time anyway and more youngsters would have been able to take advantage of such an offer. Hence the club gets more money.

I think the club do well with the free child tickets and the cheap juvenile ones , and there always seems to be a lot of youngens knocking around Oakwell. There’s also a lot of 40yrs and overs.

But I always think there’s not many 20 to 40yr olds , Suppose People get other priorities around that age and then drift away

You're right about other priorities East Stand. For me it was beer, gambling, smoking and women

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast