+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of Football putting young fans off going

And bear in mind we're relatively cheap compared to lots of other clubs. God knows how people find the money to watch some of the more expensive teams. BFC has done well to hold season ticket prices down, but that's the other side of the coin when fans moan about the club not paying enough wages and losing its best players. How many people would have happily paid a higher price for a season ticket just to line Sam Winnall's pockets. I know I wouldn't.

The FA need to do something about pricing, otherwise in 20 years time we'll all be paying to watch on an app while teams compete in empty stadiums. But at least clubs won't have to pay exorbitant policing costs...

Agree Goat. Although there are some supporter's that would benefit from live streaming from the ground and app to be made available for a small fee of course. If you live far away or find it awkward attending tuesday night games for instance. You may be incapacitated in some way.

Swings and roundabouts.

Agreed Steve, I go to all the home games, but I rarely travel to watch the reds cos it's just too expensive. If the price was right, I'd happily sit at home and watch a stream of us playing at say Bristol on a freezing cold winter's night.

But the survey suggests that the number of younger fans coming to live games is dwindling. What happens if football continues to outprice itself and the next generation of supporters decide it's better value to sit on the sofa and watch Man Utd on Sky? By the time the FA sees the problem, it'll be too late to do anything about it. Some folk are worrying about this takeover malarkey cos they fear that there might not be a club for the next set of fans to "inherit". Well the dinosaurs didn't disappear one at a time, they all went out together. That's what's gonna happen to the football league if somethings not done to make live games affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
    Agreed Steve, I go to all the home games, but I rarely travel to watch the reds cos it's just too expensive. If the price was right, I'd happily sit at home and watch a stream of us playing at say Bristol on a freezing cold winter's night.

But the survey suggests that the number of younger fans coming to live games is dwindling. What happens if football continues to outprice itself and the next generation of supporters decide it's better value to sit on the sofa and watch Man Utd on Sky? By the time the FA sees the problem, it'll be too late to do anything about it. Some folk are worrying about this takeover malarkey cos they fear that there might not be a club for the next set of fans to "inherit". Well the dinosaurs didn't disappear one at a time, they all went out together. That's what's gonna happen to the football league if somethings not done to make live games affordable.
    Like I agree with Pass though. This you scratch my back I'll scratch yours doesn't help. It's your business you should be able to charge what you want. If Sheff Wed want to charge £48 that's up to them. Likewise if we want to charge £22 that's up to us.It's the consumer that has the choice whether or not they go. You might think I'm digressing. The abolishing of this silly rule between clubs would mean we can make our tickets as cheap as we want and not have to worry about other clubs. It would also give us more scope to make juvenile tickets cheaper.

If every club would agree that twentys plenty for away fans who also have travel costs etc,it would be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by conditionred View Post
    If every club would agree that twentys plenty for away fans who also have travel costs etc,it would be a start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12