+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "Dash for Diesel"

Good debate! But we are never going to agree are we? I think our coalition would end up like the current German one.

It seems like you believe that Brexit SHOULD achieve,

Continue to trade with the EU exactly like we are currently.

Retain membership of all the various EU bodies (REACH, Euratom, Erasmus etc)

Retain all the EU laws without scrutiny

(Not sure about your thoughts on the Irish border)

Retain all intelligence sharing with the EU

Not be forced to pay our full divorce bill.

Not have to pay any future running costs of the EU.

Leave the ECJ and have the House of Lords be the final arbiter on our laws. (Can you give me examples of poor decisions made by the ECJ? I can give you loads of examples of bad rulings made by the Lords)

Restrict free movement to/from the EU (this is actually in our gift now. But we have never implemented it)

By the way, half of the current immigrants come from outside the EU. Since the Brexit vote NOTHING has been done to limit these people from coming to Britain. And there is no public outcry about this. I find that odd.

If you really think that Brexit should look like I have suggested above then it seems to me that nothing substantial will have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    WE have decided to leave.

There are a myriad of issues to sort out, and every single one of them needs scrutinising. Would you just give carte blanche to Theresa May to sort it all out without debating the detail?

For instance, the Great Repeal Bill basically does what you say. It enshrines current EU law into our Parliament. But is simply not as simple as that - times will change and every piece of this legislation needs to be scrutinised to see if it is still fit for purpose in our brave new world.

One of the arguments for Brexit was to "rid ourselves of EU laws". But you seem to be happy to accept all these EU laws as OUR laws without the need for them to be even debated in OUR Parliament.

So, are you happy to continue to live in a country that is ruled by current EU laws, or do you think that our Parliamentarians should be able to scrutinise them?
    Yes, I would give carte blanche to Theresa May. I don't like her, she appears to me to be thoroughly incompetent, I wish we had someone else as PM, maybe even Cameron would have been preferable. But as there is not, and cannot be, any concensus on how we proceed to leave the EU we have to leave it to the government to get on with the job as best they see fit. It's not ideal, I don't agree with a lot of what they're doing, but it's the only way, we can't leave the EU by committee, or by debating every issue in Parliament. For better or worse, and it may well be for worse, it's a job for May and her government, there is no other way.

And yes, I am happy to live under EU laws that are incorporated into our law without any scrutiny from our Parliamentarians. I already live under those laws so I am not in any way disadvantaged and, as you well know, there is simply not the time to do anything else but accept the whole raft of them as is. After it's all settled our Parliamentarians can have a look at those laws and regulations, keep the ones we need, lose the ones we don't. It will be a long job, probably not completed in my life time, but the people making the decisions on those laws will be answerable to me and you, not some faceless, unelected, unaccountable commissioners in Brussels. And I like that, it's called democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Good debate! But we are never going to agree are we? I think our coalition would end up like the current German one.

It seems like you believe that Brexit SHOULD achieve,

Continue to trade with the EU exactly like we are currently.

Retain membership of all the various EU bodies (REACH, Euratom, Erasmus etc)

Retain all the EU laws without scrutiny

(Not sure about your thoughts on the Irish border)

Retain all intelligence sharing with the EU

Not be forced to pay our full divorce bill.

Not have to pay any future running costs of the EU.

Leave the ECJ and have the House of Lords be the final arbiter on our laws. (Can you give me examples of poor decisions made by the ECJ? I can give you loads of examples of bad rulings made by the Lords)

Restrict free movement to/from the EU (this is actually in our gift now. But we have never implemented it)

By the way, half of the current immigrants come from outside the EU. Since the Brexit vote NOTHING has been done to limit these people from coming to Britain. And there is no public outcry about this. I find that odd.

If you really think that Brexit should look like I have suggested above then it seems to me that nothing substantial will have changed.
    The missus says it's time to get off my backside and take her to Tescos for the weekly shop, otherwise there's nowt for my tea. So I'll have to answer your points later. But I do have time to say I don't expect us to trade with the EU exactly as we do now, that's not possible, we need to negotiate a deal that is beneficial to both sides. This is so self evidently in both our interests that I remain bemused at the sheer intransigence of the EU in refusing to even discuss it.

Yep. Same here Sinkov. Morrisons in our case. And then I have a shed load of paperwork to attend to.

Catch up later.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)