+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increased expectations?

Increased expectations?

I know at the start of the season many people were quite happy to see a campaign of consolidation in League 2 with a mid-table finish.

Given we are top after over 1/3 of the season, what are your expectation levels now?

I would now be quite disappointed if we finished outside of the top 7 from this position and I honestly see us having an outside chance of automatic promotion. I never thought I would be saying this after the opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    I know at the start of the season many people were quite happy to see a campaign of consolidation in League 2 with a mid-table finish.

Given we are top after over 1/3 of the season, what are your expectation levels now?

I would now be quite disappointed if we finished outside of the top 7 from this position and I honestly see us having an outside chance of automatic promotion. I never thought I would be saying this after the opening day.
    I have several bets running on us to gain automatic promotion......I fully expect to be paid out.

We need to stay in the top 3 come the January transfer window, slot Noble somehow into midfield and acquire a younger, fitter, more direct goal-scorer, not only to cement a top 3 finish...but in readiness for next season in League 1.

I'm old school had any type of "Expectations" from Notts knocked out of me a long time ago, bit like my golf hit and hope.....

I learned a long while ago not to have my hopes up where Notts are concerned. I'll wait till Easter before getting them up.

As I said at the start of the season, top 7 should be a minimum expectation for Notts in this league, especially with a settled board. Now we’re top in lateish November and averaging 2 points a game...

I think the current squad as it stands wouid still struggle to make the top 3, but all the signs are that we will make the necessary additions in Jan to go up automatically. Also depends on what others do, I reckon Luton, inconsistent as they are, will win it with Lincoln and Mansfield recruiting and improving dramatically.

I don't think Kevin Nolan should be held hostage by the unexpected level of success he has had so far. I believed at the start of the season that a top 10 finish would be something to build on, a top 7 finish would be a real achievement and a top 3 finish would be dreamland.

The way things are going at present, expectations have increased, but that shouldn't mean demands increase to the extent where they become a burden. Regardless of whether we finish 10th, 5th or 1st, I think Nolan and Hardy will still have shown enough to suggest the club is finally on an upward curve.
    Last edited by jackal2; 16-11-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I don't think Kevin Nolan should be held hostage by the unexpected level of success he has had so far. I believed at the start of the season that a top 10 finish would be something to build on, a top 7 finish would be a real achievement and a top 3 finish would be dreamland.

The way things are going at present, expectations have increased, but that shouldn't mean demands increase to the extent where they become a burden. Regardless of whether we finish 10th, 5th or 1st, I think Nolan and Hardy will still have shown enough to suggest the club is finally on an upward curve.
    Happy to have the expectation of not being in a relegation fight. Anything above that including flirting with play-offs should be considered a bonus. Unless there are two or three stellar signings in the next window I'd be worried about too fast a rise with the depth of our current squad and age of our strike force.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Happy to have the expectation of not being in a relegation fight. Anything above that including flirting with play-offs should be considered a bonus. Unless there are two or three stellar signings in the next window I'd be worried about too fast a rise with the depth of our current squad and age of our strike force.
    You're worried about age?

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    You're worried about age?
    It would be disappointing not to make the play offs now and I fully expect us to achieve that as a minimum. Hang onto Grant and Yates in January and bring in a decent pacy young striker and automatic promotion should be absolutely the target.

I want to see us go up as Champions - of course.
    I want those great days back such as when we went to Tottenham and only got beat because Gazza didn't get sent off after elbowing Harding in the face - remember that game?
    My best Notts memory is standing behind the goal at Tottenham and seeing O-Riordan's rocket heading straight towards me - I'd have caught that ball if the net hadn't been in the way - great days. 26 years ago bloody hell.
    That goal is on Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhHlBkoOoU0
    Gettin!
    I also remember on the bus down there, the bus driver stopped and asked, about 1km from the ground, if anybody wanted to get out and walk. Bus went silent. There were no takers strangely.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast