+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food your Mam used to make

Meat and potato pie and home made rice pudding made in oven at side of coal fire.

Quote Originally Posted by bankendbfc View Post
    Finny addock
    I always remember when I was a kid living in Hoyland... and at the top of the Milton road where its like a tri cross road (before it all went one way) was a News Agent ( I had a paper round at that shop, cannot for the life of me remember its name)
    there was also a ladies Lingerie shop "May Taylors" I think ...and a fishmongers ( was it Sowerby's not sure on this). BUT for years to come I always used to wonder why most lasses smelled of fish ???
    Last edited by DragonTyke; 17-11-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    My mum made excellent home made Yorkshire puddings they used to rise and stay risen. The key she's since told me was putting fat in the tray moulds and heating it up first and leaving them in the oven as long as you could. Also whisking up the mixture ready to put into the hot moulds as it kept the air in the mixture so it wasn't dead.

I'm a very keen cook. Best way to get good Yorkshire puds is to mek thi batter mix neet afooar thy ez em and lerrit rest int fridge ovverneet. That's the key. To get good batter tha needs- A cup of whisked eggs, a cup of plain flour, aif a cup o milk and aif a cup o watter. Mix it together, cover it then rest it overneet.

Get thi oven on top whack and heat the lard in thi puddin tray till smoking hot. Pour in thi batter aif way up each mould, it should sizzle. Gerrit int oven and whativver tha does dunt open that oven dooer till thev risen and gone dark brarn (teks normally abart 15 mins) otherwise tha'll end up wi Lincolnshire pudding (flat). Give em a sprinkling o salt n pepper as soon as they're done and bobs thi uncle. Kin beudiful

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I'm a very keen cook. Best way to get good Yorkshire puds is to mek thi batter mix neet afooar thy ez em and lerrit rest int fridge ovverneet. That's the key. To get good batter tha needs- A cup of whisked eggs, a cup of plain flour, aif a cup o milk and aif a cup o watter. Mix it together, cover it then rest it overneet.

Get thi oven on top whack and heat the lard in thi puddin tray till smoking hot. Pour in thi batter aif way up each mould, it should sizzle. Gerrit int oven and whativver tha does dunt open that oven dooer till thev risen and gone dark brarn (teks normally abart 15 mins) otherwise tha'll end up wi Lincolnshire pudding (flat). Give em a sprinkling o salt n pepper as soon as they're done and bobs thi uncle. Kin beudiful

Mi mother used to mek home made pea n ham soup using ham hocks. Back then as a kid I had an eating disorder so I never tried it. Had it as an adult and it's lovely. A missed art as a kid.

Our mum used to make a good meat & taty pie! R kid & I loved it with steeped, sloppy peas!
    Less successfully, she made her own bread & made school lunches with it for us - it's fair to say that it was "very filling" & solid!

Quote Originally Posted by anstonred View Post
    Our mum used to make a good meat & taty pie! R kid & I loved it with steeped, sloppy peas!
    Less successfully, she made her own bread & made school lunches with it for us - it's fair to say that it was "very filling" & solid!

My Dad always made comment on bought meat & tatie pie
    Said they were hafe tatie & the other hafe all tatie

Home made bread , I can see it nar , next to the fire with a t towel on top of the tin getting finished off , delicious .

I used to cut my grans lawn , no easy task either even for a young lad , she lived on Walton Street Wilthorpe , the back garden was like Locke Park .

For doing it she made me meat n tatty pie , to die for , home made pastry , chunks a meat size of thi hand and thick proper gravy .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Home made bread , I can see it nar , next to the fire with a t towel on top of the tin getting finished off , delicious .

I used to cut my grans lawn , no easy task either even for a young lad , she lived on Walton Street Wilthorpe , the back garden was like Locke Park .

For doing it she made me meat n tatty pie , to die for , home made pastry , chunks a meat size of thi hand and thick proper gravy .

& spread thick with National butter from Co-op

My Dad makes a mean New Years Pie. It's a meat n' tatie pie to everyone else. He only does it New Years Eve though and we eat it after midnight and have left overs for tea New Years Day. It's his mushy peas wi' pieces of ham in that he steeps his sen that steal the show. They're to die for. I could just eat some now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast