+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T - Deep Purple

O/T - Deep Purple

Live concert currently available on the BBC red button (or via the Radio 2 website). Well worth a look if, like me, you're an old rocker. They're getting on a bit now, but still great to hear Ian Gillan belting out Black Night, Fireball, Smoke On The Water, etc.

I’ll have a look at that toneet , not an old rocker but my brother liked them and constantly used to have em blasting out . Didn’t mind them in the end .
    Last edited by EastStandRed; 17-11-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks I'll have a look, always better with Blackmore!

Agree Swazer, the MkII line-up of Lord/Paice/Glover/Gillan/Blackmore is the definitive Purple line-up. That said, Steve Morse does a cracking job for em on guitar, he makes it look so easy.

Purpendicular was a great album with Morse but not liked the last couple of Purple Albums since the sad death of Jon Lord! Can remember somebody giving me In Rock vinyl on Harvest label, Speed King intro blew me away and I was hooked.

I first got into Purple at high school, the 6th formers used to bring records in and play em at lunchtime. One lad brought in Made In Japan and I loved it. The Japan version of Highway Star is one of the best live tracks ever IMHO.

Machine Head is one of the iconic rock albums!

Quote Originally Posted by anstonred View Post
    Machine Head is one of the iconic rock albums!
    Agreed.
    Gillan is one of my favourite singers, whether he's belting it out or doing a slow blues number, he never fails to deliver. His post-Purple stuff is well worth checking out, he's covered a great range of styles over the years.

Nowt to touch Lemmy , lived the rock n roll life to the full and then some .

Cracked many a good tune out as well .

I liked Lemmy too, but although his voice perfectly suited Motorhead's style, I wouldn't go sofar as to call him a singer. To be fair though, he sounded just like that live too, so credit where it's due, at least he wasn't tarting his vocal up on his studio recordings.
    Saw Motorhead play at Sheffield City Hall early 80s and they were bloody loud! Good mind, but bloody loud...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast