+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T - Deep Purple

Going slightly off Purple although linked through Blackmore, Ronnie James Dio was the ultimate heavy rock vocalist, saw him at City Hall Sheffield in 1984, whether in Rainbow, Tarot woman a classic, Sabbath and Heaven and Hell album or Dio band he was a true great!

I used to be a big Deep Purple fan in my ****s. I've still got a garage full of Purple, Sabbath & Zeppelin vinyl albums in the garage.
    I see Malcolm Young of AC/DC died today. I saw them play in a hotel in Blackpool in 1976. I'd never heard of them, but a couple of lads I worked with talked me into going. There was only a couple of hundred there, and Angus really was school age. He went round the room playing his guitar on Bon Scott's shoulders. Another band I saw dozens of times for nothing was Saxon. They played in a bar in Blackpool every few weeks when they were called Son of a Bitch. Most weeks there was less than 100 people there.
    Then they sold out and went all commercial.
    Just been watching David Gilmour live in Pompeii on BBC2.
    Unbelievable. I recommend you watch it. So effortless.

Eee... those were the days, Hodger. I saw Saxon twice in the same week in 1979, just after they'd released their first album, but before they hit the big time. Saw em at Barnsley Civic Hall on the Saturday, then again mid-week at Wath college. Both crowds were very low, only about 40 of us at Civic, if that. Saw them again a year or two later when the supported Motorhead in Sheffield. They were a decent band, part of the "new wave of British heavy metal" that featured regularly on Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show (another blast from the past!).
    I'll track down the Gilmour concert - cheers.

My step daughter is in to this new metal stuff , US bands and the dark side , goes to gigs all the time , bands you've never heard of and no wonder .

It's horrific on the lug oils , I try not to do the music in my day thing but dear me it tests my patience with that noise coming from her bedroom on a night .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12