+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That's all, folks...

That's all, folks...

Recently, I thought ‘I’ve wasted enough time and money on Rotherham United, there are much more important things in life’. It was the day I realised the passion and enthusiasm had drained, that making the journey to the NYS had become more of a habit than an exciting prospect. I suspect it’s akin to being released from a lengthy prison sentence, you never believe the time will come but eventually the gates swing open and you’re free from the shackles. I wasn’t on the road to Damascus when I had this divine encounter, I was on my way to Leeds. Nonetheless, the conversion from ardent follower to passive supporter was equally as earth-shattering.

I’ve since mused about the factors that caused this amazing transformation. There’s the weekly guess the team competition. Who’ll be in goal; what random process will we utilise to select the back four; how can we perm 5 midfielders from 10… plus Kieffer Roberto Francisco Moore in the lone striker’s role. Why in five years we’ve failed to recruit a striker of our own worthy of the name (accepting injuries) is baffling. But then why single out strikers, we haven’t recruited a single, quality, influential player of any description in five years.

Then there’s the guess the system competition, for which no prizes are awarded as there’s no logical answer. It’s amazing that we have skilful players but no team ethic. We’ve players whose only job description seems to entail carrying the ball as far as they can into a cul de sac or lumping it high into the heavens. Passing isn’t a dying art at our club, it’s positively extinct.

Which brings me to those off the pitch who are equally if not more responsible than those on it. The Rotherham Old Boys who ‘manage’ the club are collectively a cheap option, as we know, devoid of any constructive ideas. We were very rapidly found by other clubs to be one-dimensional, hence our poor results against so-called lower league opposition. I would talk about changing tactics but you can’t change something you haven’t got. I applaud Warne for his work-rate, dedication and enthusiasm but his lack of experience is now apparent to everyone, inside and outside the club as he struggles week in, week out to find a consistent, winning formula.

Then there’s the chairman who has without doubt transformed the club but who must now carry the lion’s share of responsibility for our current predicament. I’m all too aware of those who will point out we’re in a play-off position, we’ve been in much worse situations, we’re financially stable, historically we’re an average League 1 team… Fair comment. In part. I was born in a 2-up, 2-down, terraced house with an outside loo, no central heating, no hot water… but I’ve moved on from there and so should Rotherham United. We should respect where we came from but we should be forward-thinking not backward looking.

In my opinion, the chairman’s priority today, as exemplified by the lack of investment in the squad, is not the team but finalising development of Guest and Chrimes. As long as we maintain season ticket sales, by whatever means and perform reasonably well, the Rotherham public will turn up and ensure our continued sustainability. We can then tick over on a shoestring budget, discount ambition as that costs money, and invest in those areas where we can expect a substantial return. And that certainly isn’t RUFC.

So, I’ve probably answered my own questions and identified disillusionment as the major key to my current position. Obviously, the Millers will always be the only club I’ll ever follow and I’ll miss the camaraderie, the atmosphere, and, yes, the excitement, however sporadic, but henceforth I won’t be investing my hard-earned pension fund in futile ventures. I too need to see a return on my investment.

If you feel that way then fair doos and bon voyage, just one point to pick up on, you mention the 2 up 2 down and how you've moved on....millmoor and NYS spring to mind, if the NYS hasn't moved us on i'll eat my hat.

Have a happy retirement....we all know you'll be rivetted to the results every satdy and tuesday...

Some very valid points specifically around the lack of structure and consistency of team selection - to go from fitness coach to manager with two weeks training is a step too far in my opinion.If you look at the dingles there manager was at least a qualified coach before being appointed manager when the poison dwarf left .I personally can see Warne surviving providing we are not relegated and so another year of mediocrity beckons.

Smile

I feel exactly the same Leeds, as you have no doubt gathered. I'm still going to the home games but only just. I share the same thoughts as you do and whilst I haven't thrown the towel in just yet, I understand your position. I wish you well and arguably having been our best poster in recent years I hope you will still continue to contribute to this forum. I tend to read more than post comments these days, only because I will only come over as negative and I appreciate that does no one on here any good. I still believe TS has an alternative agenda and G&C is above the club in his list of priorities. He owns the club, can do what he wants. I get that and he has certainly alienated me and several others from proceedings. I wander into the ground nowadays thinking more about the decision as to whether I should have a hot dog or beef burger - than I do about which players are on the team sheet. A million miles away from where I was. I don't see a future filled with promise and hope. It's just an existence with mediocre players in a mediocre league with a mediocre budget. Such a massive change from the L2 days when a move to NYS started the momentum that ended in the Championship. Little RUFC were the talk of the town and many of the football pundits, we could attract decent players and the crowd and team were as one. I was excited to go, turn up home and away an hour before kick off, talk to Revs, Pringle and Frecks etc. during warm up. Amazing days, combined in my head at least to thoughts and beliefs of a very promising future. I just cannot or simply don't want to embrace what little we appear to have now.

Crazy as it seems though, I'm still hoping naively that the January transfer window will bring some sort of excitement but the reality of it all will probably be that we lose Moore, can't or won't invest in a decent replacement and find out that tactically and ability wise we are a mid to lower L1 team at best. Without Moore and his knack for sniffing out goals, I cannot see Warney keeping his post. To be honest I don't care one way or another. Nice guy blah blah blah but I want to see a club with a planned future and despite odd comments coming from one or two quarters, I don't see anything for the club other than what we have now or worse.

So I can see where you are coming from Leeds and agree with what you say.

Keep posting though

Quote Originally Posted by leedsmiller View Post
    Recently, I thought ‘I’ve wasted enough time and money on Rotherham United, there are much more important things in life’. It was the day I realised the passion and enthusiasm had drained, that making the journey to the NYS had become more of a habit than an exciting prospect. I suspect it’s akin to being released from a lengthy prison sentence, you never believe the time will come but eventually the gates swing open and you’re free from the shackles. I wasn’t on the road to Damascus when I had this divine encounter, I was on my way to Leeds. Nonetheless, the conversion from ardent follower to passive supporter was equally as earth-shattering.

I’ve since mused about the factors that caused this amazing transformation. There’s the weekly guess the team competition. Who’ll be in goal; what random process will we utilise to select the back four; how can we perm 5 midfielders from 10… plus Kieffer Roberto Francisco Moore in the lone striker’s role. Why in five years we’ve failed to recruit a striker of our own worthy of the name (accepting injuries) is baffling. But then why single out strikers, we haven’t recruited a single, quality, influential player of any description in five years.

Then there’s the guess the system competition, for which no prizes are awarded as there’s no logical answer. It’s amazing that we have skilful players but no team ethic. We’ve players whose only job description seems to entail carrying the ball as far as they can into a cul de sac or lumping it high into the heavens. Passing isn’t a dying art at our club, it’s positively extinct.

Which brings me to those off the pitch who are equally if not more responsible than those on it. The Rotherham Old Boys who ‘manage’ the club are collectively a cheap option, as we know, devoid of any constructive ideas. We were very rapidly found by other clubs to be one-dimensional, hence our poor results against so-called lower league opposition. I would talk about changing tactics but you can’t change something you haven’t got. I applaud Warne for his work-rate, dedication and enthusiasm but his lack of experience is now apparent to everyone, inside and outside the club as he struggles week in, week out to find a consistent, winning formula.

Then there’s the chairman who has without doubt transformed the club but who must now carry the lion’s share of responsibility for our current predicament. I’m all too aware of those who will point out we’re in a play-off position, we’ve been in much worse situations, we’re financially stable, historically we’re an average League 1 team… Fair comment. In part. I was born in a 2-up, 2-down, terraced house with an outside loo, no central heating, no hot water… but I’ve moved on from there and so should Rotherham United. We should respect where we came from but we should be forward-thinking not backward looking.

In my opinion, the chairman’s priority today, as exemplified by the lack of investment in the squad, is not the team but finalising development of Guest and Chrimes. As long as we maintain season ticket sales, by whatever means and perform reasonably well, the Rotherham public will turn up and ensure our continued sustainability. We can then tick over on a shoestring budget, discount ambition as that costs money, and invest in those areas where we can expect a substantial return. And that certainly isn’t RUFC.

So, I’ve probably answered my own questions and identified disillusionment as the major key to my current position. Obviously, the Millers will always be the only club I’ll ever follow and I’ll miss the camaraderie, the atmosphere, and, yes, the excitement, however sporadic, but henceforth I won’t be investing my hard-earned pension fund in futile ventures. I too need to see a return on my investment.
    Honest post from a chap who sees it as it as and why not. Very well put.

How we all got through last season and still turned up every second week took some doing and I suppose Leedsmiller thinks that’s enough and who can blame him.

Yes NYS is a move in the fight direction and we have to thank Stewart for that,however, it’s the football we go to watch not a stadium that’s just somewhere to park your bum whilst the match is on.

The points you make LM may well see others not renew next season so unless Stewart does something about it in January, then I’m afraid it may be a drop further.

Good luck fella with whatever you get up to on your free weekends😉

Great post Leeds and Pete. Gives posters a lot to digest.

For heavens sake cheer up Mr Waller.

Quote Originally Posted by hotun View Post
    For heavens sake cheer up Mr Waller.
    Why?. They have valid views. Like they I travel a bloody long way to watch my team. My Mrs and me go out every Saturday might like Leeds and Pete probably do. I go in to a local pub for a drink, jive, and a few beers to banter with the local Hull City shyteheads. At 71 I am proud the be a Miller. Always will be. My ex town BUT my team. UTM.

At 76 a little private joke with Mr Waller.

Personally I watch the match and get excited at about the same time as the matchthread however I sometimes struggle to find anything new to type. This year us expats have had a great, new and superb service provided to us. To be able to watch the games and then interact with you lot having seen the game is wonderful. I'm so grateful they didn't have that service last season. That's my season ticket bought which gives me the chance to watch it anywhere where there's wi-fi.

This will be a team that people won't remeber the names of the players in 5 years.

I appreciate your very good posts Leeds and Pete.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast