+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Antibiotics

Antibiotics

We haven’t had a new one for 30 years and bug resistance is growing.

Today is Antibiotic Awareness Day so have been trying to get people not to ask for them when they have a virus and take the full course when they do need them. 25000 Europeans are now dying from resistant infections each year.
    Hope you arent resistant to the posting and can help spread the word. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    We haven’t had a new one for 30 years and bug resistance is growing.

Today is Antibiotic Awareness Day so have been trying to get people not to ask for them when they have a virus and take the full course when they do need them. 25000 Europeans are now dying from resistant infections each year.
    Hope you arent resistant to the posting and can help spread the word. Thanks.
    One should always finish an antibiotic course and not take alcohol until it's finished ..That's what I thought until last Christmas when the doc put me on a course to cure a water infection I had (my pissbag of course) ..lol... I asked him about drinking alcohol and he said I could drink within moderation ..top man

Ive had my free flu jab already last month

it's in the animal agriculture - so watch out for those speed grown cattle....for Human Consumption - stuffed full of antibiotics and resistant to bacteria....and dont forget the GM foods/seeds/plants etc - constructed with antibiotic resistant genes.

Im a walking miracle ..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    One should always finish an antibiotic course and not take alcohol until it's finished ..That's what I thought until last Christmas when the doc put me on a course to cure a water infection I had (my pissbag of course) ..lol... I asked him about drinking alcohol and he said I could drink within moderation ..top man

Ive had my free flu jab already last month
    Most antibiotics are ok with alcohol but metronidazole and Tinadazole both react badly with it and a few others may have some interaction. However these are less commonly used in men.

Chapter and verse on here
    https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/871.aspx?CategoryID=73

Flu is viral so antibiotics are no use unless you get a secondary bacterial infection. I had my jab a month or so ago and had two weeks of feeling ropey.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

it's in the animal agriculture - so watch out for those speed grown cattle....for Human Consumption - stuffed full of antibiotics and resistant to bacteria....and dont forget the GM foods/seeds/plants etc - constructed with antibiotic resistant genes.

Good point Norder. WHO trying to lead on this.
    See tweet on RH side

http://www.farmantibiotics.org

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Im a walking miracle ..
    A walking disaster I've heard

This problem with antibiotics has been around for a while, as usual radio and TV ads about this health threat are far too late in telling the general public.

Flu Jab ?, Matron has one every year, I don't, there is something which I don't like about putting something in your body stopping the common cold, I just wont do it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Good point Norder. WHO trying to lead on this.
    See tweet on RH side
    http://www.farmantibiotics.org
    thanks Colner - link to Lancet from tweet.

Food industry must act to safeguard the future of antibiotics
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...xt?elsca1=etoc

WHO has urged farmers and the food industry to stop routine use of antibiotics in healthy animals to promote growth and prevent infectious diseases. WHO guidelines, which were released ahead of World Antibiotic Awareness Week (Nov 13–19), aim to tackle the growing threat of antimicrobial resistance to human health. Use of antibiotics promotes development of drug-resistant bacteria in food-producing animals, which can subsequently be transmitted to humans, and curbing use of antibiotics in animals can reduce the prevalence of resistant bacteria in animals and humans.

.....factories for the growth of Superbugs

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

thanks Colner - link to Lancet from tweet.

Food industry must act to safeguard the future of antibiotics
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...xt?elsca1=etoc

WHO has urged farmers and the food industry to stop routine use of antibiotics in healthy animals to promote growth and prevent infectious diseases. WHO guidelines, which were released ahead of World Antibiotic Awareness Week (Nov 13–19), aim to tackle the growing threat of antimicrobial resistance to human health. Use of antibiotics promotes development of drug-resistant bacteria in food-producing animals, which can subsequently be transmitted to humans, and curbing use of antibiotics in animals can reduce the prevalence of resistant bacteria in animals and humans.

.....factories for the growth of Superbugs
    Eastern Europe and Asia give easier access to antibiotics and as a result resistance rates thereare much higher than here. So if you pick up a bug on holiday or business it’s more likely to be resistant. 25000 Europeans die each year from infections that were resistant.
    It doesn’t help that there is no great profit for drug companies producing new antibiotics. Most people take short courses and are then cured, unlike new blood pressure or diabetes tablets where people are on them for life.

Cheers again Colner - interesting info

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    A walking disaster I've heard

Flu Jab ?, Matron has one every year, I don't, there is something which I don't like about putting something in your body stopping the common cold, I just wont do it.
    I wonder - which Flu virus the scientists have deemed prevalent for this seasons jab, with apparently a few hundred of them, they get it wrong, and it's all pointless....other than perhaps them getting stronger that is, and be careful if Mrs Alto's had the spray mist concoction - Alto....it's a live Virus....she'll be contagious for around 7 days.

Good Luck

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)