+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Ashes

Totally agree with Jackal here most test matches are over in 4 days now.

In test cricket now if a team drops 100 runs behind it is generally game over look at England for example how many times do our players get to 50 then get out straight away it happens too often and this isnt just our problem look at Australia two years ago at Trent Bridge 60 all out if honest the batting was a joke.

I think we will move into an era of test matches being over 4 days my issue with that is if it rains for one day the test match is dead it'll be a draw.

As I said above lose this next test and its a 5-0 job then hopefully Strauss, Graves, Bayliss, Whittaker, Newell & Fraser are all sacked none of them should keep their jobs as some players careers will definately end as well they have to.

Gone on the days when we could " shout down pit " ( yes I know there on none left ).

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Gone on the days when we could " shout down pit " ( yes I know there on none left ).
    I think that only applied to football, in ''them'' days cricketers were
    amateurs and gentlemen and wouldn't know what the inside of a pit looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I think that only applied to football, in ''them'' days cricketers were
    amateurs and gentlemen and wouldn't know what the inside of a pit looked like.
    I thought the saying went that England only had to shout down a Notts pit wen they needed a fast bowler , from the days of Larwood etc. So I think pretty sure you are wrong 61.

Well what a Test this is turning out to be.

If England are still batting when my alarm goes off tomorrow morning then it could be a very interesting couple of hours of cricket.

Got up this morning with the feeling I have the day after a Notts defeat following last nights worse possible cup draw . I wasn't expecting England to improve my mood but have been pleasantly surprised. I will be up at 3 in the morning hoping but not expecting a win but you never know , come on England !!

I thought the saying went that England only had to shout down a Notts pit wen they needed a fast bowler , from the days of Larwood etc. So I think pretty sure you are wrong 61.
    Seems it's both. Those I've heard that particular saying used more for cricket than footy.

Excerpt from Dickie Bird's autobiography:

Name:  Capturedb.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  21.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Seems it's both. Those I've heard that particular saying used more for cricket than footy.

Excerpt from Dickie Bird's autobiography:

Name:  Capturedb.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  21.6 KB
    Cheers gump

Well that didn't take long. Woke up this morning thinking we could pull it off but England never fail to disappoint . I predicted 3-1 to us at the start of the series , glad I am not a betting man ,if I was I would now go 5-0 . I think our bowlers have given their best but some of the batsmen would struggle to get a game for a Burton Joyce 2nd XL on present form.

You are right navy my in laws have put me right, they are from Yorkshire and the saying was mainly used for their county. The gentlemen were the ''soft'' southern counties.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast