+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: OT Ashes

Anderson is World class. Stokes who hell he? Root....does his best but his best not good enough in AU. We have a team of maybe sometimes it's like a Notts team when Howard Kendall was manager.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Anderson is World class. Stokes who hell he? Root....does his best but his best not good enough in AU. We have a team of maybe sometimes it's like a Notts team when Howard Kendall was manager.
    So far a fair appraisal QP

When nearly 2 decades ago central contracts were brought in, we were told it was to ensure that players with promise could be centrally managed so we could produce fast bowlers with extreme pace, and spinners with mystery deliveries as the county system wouldn't produce them. For all the money put in, neither has central contracts.

County cricket will again be blamed for 5-0.

Not the ECB for relegating the longer form in the country at the expense of T20.

What do we expect.

I would pick the same team for Melbourne simply because we have no choice . The Aussies have a far better bowling attack than us and our senior batsmen have simply not stepped up to the mark. Just one little gripe . I think the Aussies have had the rub of the green( not they have needed it) on one or two decisions . The Aussies love to give us the winging Pom tag but as somebody who as been to Australia a few times I can tell you they winge far more than us when things aren't going their way!
    Last edited by navypie; 17-12-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I would pick the same team for Melbourne simply because we have no choice . The Aussies have a far better bowling attack than us and our senior batsmen have simply not stepped up to the mark. Just one little gripe . I think the Aussies have had the rub of the green( not they have needed it) on one or two decisions . The Aussies love to give us the winging Pom tag but as somebody who as been to Australia a few times I can tell you they winge far more than us when things aren't going their way!
    Agree they've had the rub of the green. But to be fair, we've had the same at home in recent ashes series too.

How can you be 350 odd for 4 and end up losing a game so heavily. Broad was awful with bat and ball and the rest weren't much better ! I am planning to go to Oz when we play them over there again and I am hoping half the current team wont be there !

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    How can you be 350 odd for 4 and end up losing a game so heavily. Broad was awful with bat and ball and the rest weren't much better ! I am planning to go to Oz when we play them over there again and I am hoping half the current team wont be there !
    Yep....a pretty poor show so far. I think I said earlier in the thread that Stuart was possibly waning a little but with his past record I was hoping he would come good. A total of 5 wickets so far is well below expectations for an international opening bowler. Sounds tough but I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last tour. It happens to all sportsmen and I think it'll be a case of 'Thanks Stuart for all you've done in the past'.

As I said a while back 5-0 there is no chance of us winning a game and to be honest I hope we don't win a game as changes need to be made and i'm not just talking about the players.

Broad hasn't been great but first two tests him and Jimmy bowled very tight its the back up bowlers who did nothing of note the Aussies respect them so they waited for the 10 over mark and thats what was telling.

Bayliss is supposed to be an Aussie expert yet we have no spinner or pace bowler.....the back up batsmen is GARY BALLANCE which pretty much means no point leaving any batters out as he is useless ....then the talk is we can draft Jennings in and he is even worse !!

The other day when the Aussies scored 340 for one wicket the coaches said "We had a good day" really this is what really narks me about it we clearly have not so just say it.

I think a few changes might be made for New Zealand but I expect the rebuild will start at home to Pakistan / India.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    When nearly 2 decades ago central contracts were brought in, we were told it was to ensure that players with promise could be centrally managed so we could produce fast bowlers with extreme pace, and spinners with mystery deliveries as the county system wouldn't produce them. For all the money put in, neither has central contracts.

County cricket will again be blamed for 5-0.

Not the ECB for relegating the longer form in the country at the expense of T20.

What do we expect.
    Others have correctly pointed out that T20 isn't just played in England by English players, so it's too simplistic to completely blame the shorter game for our defeat, but without doubt the ability of batmen across the world to build long innings has declined and England in particular seems to be suffering badly. We see far fewer players (in all Test teams) who are genuinely capable of dropping anchor, displaying sound technique and waiting patiently for the bad ball.

I wonder if Cook will do a Swanny and retire mid tour. I don't think he will but I bet he feels like packing it all in.
    Just listened to Root , he says we weren't blown away , yes we were !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by navypie; 18-12-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast