+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The value of a manager

Quote Originally Posted by wmdave_b View Post
    All things have changed so much in our lifetime Sinks. Football at the top level unrecognisable from the sixties. Global media, so much hype. It's glamorous stuff, but behind the scenes we have it right, giving us the platform to keep making progress. Point I was making was that the manager value compared to players is completely disproportionate. A player is only 1/11th of a team, yet the manager, particularly in the case of Sean is worth only 1/10th of Michael Keane. Can't be right.......
    Yes it seems back to front to me too.
    Of course the value is really seen in what fee is paid to transfer the manager as well as their salary. That depends on market forces and if two want the same person prices can go much higher than their worth or true value. The sums just now seem buttons too. We could afford Pellegrino and rejected Villas Boas for Laws!

Does anybody know what the bonuses linked to performance are ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    On that basis I'd have no problem paying him £10m a year, such is his value to the club.
    I'd like to think that an annual salary of £10 Million would suffice Sinkov, But I'm sure Dyche would prefer a bit more money to buy better players, in that he is restricted which is a worry for me.

Perhaps that part time cab driver knows of what bonus's our players get Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    I'd like to think that an annual salary of £10 Million would suffice Sinkov, But I'm sure Dyche would prefer a bit more money to buy better players, in that he is restricted which is a worry for me.

I'm sure Sean would be happy with much less than £200k a week Alto, I'm just saying that in order to keep him here we could pay him that and it would still be value for money.

On the money he has to spend, I wonder how much will be made available to him in summer ? I suspect it could be a sum way, way in excess of anything we've seen Burnley spend before. We'll see.

I don't know what the performance bonuses are on a match by match basis, but I do know the club paid £11.3 million in bonuses when we won promotion in 15/16.

I was thinking of Dyche not the players, as per title of the thread.

Yes I agree it would be enough wage wise, but helping him with money available to do an even better job would be the icing on the cake, take a look at the last window, that car salesman Garlick said we'd spend well in excess of the previous window, you like him and the rest can state the obvious reasons why we didn't, but the bottom line is just that, we didn't, which makes (for me) the next window will be just as important to keep Dyche as well as benefitting the squad.

I may be corrected Spirit, but the word through the grape vine was Dyche received 1 Million as a bonus for keeping us up.

Exactley that is my point. The way BFC conduct thier business ,does anyone really know ?

Yes I agree it would be enough wage wise, but helping him with money available to do an even better job would be the icing on the cake, take a look at the last window, that car salesman Garlick said we'd spend well in excess of the previous window, you like him and the rest can state the obvious reasons why we didn't, but the bottom line is just that, we didn't, which makes (for me) the next window will be just as important to keep Dyche as well as benefitting the squad.
    Working things out on the back of a fag packet last summer Alto, and like you listening to what Garlick said, I thought we'd be spending at least £40m. In the event we must have made at least £10m profit with the sale of Keane and Gray. Given that profit on transfers and with a further year in the PL to come, the amount we could make available to Dyche next summer, or even in January, must be astronomical, but the question is, will he get his mitts on it ?

Which leads me on to the subject which so irritates OC and others, Dyche's refusal to rule out a move and his refusal to commit to the club long term. Maybe Dyche knows exactly what he's doing, which manager is likelier to be handed the keys to the dry powder store ?
    The one who says he's happy with his lot and has no intention of moving on, or the one who seems to have itchy feet and is almost inviting clubs to come and get him ? Imo Dyche's refusal to rule out a move is sending a not so subtle hint to the board, back me or l'm off.

I'd agree with that 100% Sinkov, Dyche in one window was giving the Board a sly side swipe, in fact he did it about 3 times, and I feel this time they have to increase players wage's to attract better players, not sell the farm but use some of that dry powder, IMO he's warned them once and he doesn't look like a chap who suffers fools.

I totally agree that managers are very under valued generally. And I suggest that Sean could name his price at Burnley - and we should pay it.

But I disagree regarding our recruitment. We need a very special type of player at Burnley - we are the ultimate TEAM and all our signings must be thoroughly vetted to make sure they fit our team ethos.

Just one bad apple, no matter how gifted, could ruin the whole group.

No use bringing a big time Charlie to Turf Moor - we need good players who can fit into the group.

Personally, I would like to see a pacey winger who offers something different. But he would also be expected to run his bollox off, and I am struggling to think of anyone that fits the bill.

If you are critical of our recruitment then please tell us which players need replacing. Pope/Heaton? Lowton, Mee, Tarkowski, Ward?
    Defour, Cork, Brady, Iceman? Wood, Vokes, Barnes? Remember, we haven't really seen Wells or Taylor yet.

So we would need to recruit better players who are willing to work their socks off for the team and not have a big ego.

I am very happy with the way we are progressing thank you very much.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)