+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The value of a manager

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I am very happy with the way we are progressing thank you very much.
    And I'd guess Dyche is also very happy also 59_60, but I'm sure he'd like to "progress" further, and to do that he needs better players.

This "Dyche style player" quote, really gets up my nose, He's a Manager, he should Manage and not side step better players because they could "ruin the whole group", I'm sure he sits down with certain players before they sign and has a very deep in depth conversation with them, for instance Joey Barton.

We are the 7th best team in the Premier League, by position and also on merit, do you think anyone let alone Dyche would settle for that ? He's driven so he'll want to get higher in the League and eventually into Europe, he's never been mediocre and he never will be.

Sinkov
    I agree with your analysis, though I don’t expect him to commit long term, though that would be great, but a 12 month rolling contract gives some hint of permanence. I just wish he would say he was happy here (and enjoying developing the club) when his name gets mentioned as no doubt it will for WBA or whatever comes up next.
    That would kill much of the tittle tattle at least until he is shortlisted for another club.
    I’m not sure the issue is having money to spend as he has taken to finding players to develop. In many ways we were Rejects United When first promoted and Sean worked his magic on turning sows ears into a group of silk purses. I think it’s the idea of managing a Top 6 club and maybe higher salary. He may get them sooner than expected.
    The reality may be different once he gets into negotiations and he may realise he’s better off in the longer term building us up slowly into a European club, though that is a new challenge that didn’t do Wigan much good, nor is it helping Everton.

Evening Alto!

I've seen many instances of clubs paying £££ on improving their squads only to fall on their arses.

Without doubt our team is a perfect example of the whole being more than the sum of it's parts. It is a closely bonded TEAM. If we move away from this strategy, at this time, and it results in a more fragmented squad, with "egos" in the dressing room, then there is no way we could compete at the level we currently are.
    What I would say is that if Sean really wanted to spend money on his targets then he has earned the right to be supported by the board. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that this has happened.

I repeat, which players do you think we should replace? And with who? Should we change our style of play and attempt to "out-football" the other clubs?

Not yet - we are developing nicely.

Evolution not revolution!

I thought on Saturday we looked every bit a Premier League powerhouse.

A very quiet and understated evolution is going on at Burnley and to quote Phil Neville, "Why would SD want to leave this squad of players, which he has built?"

Arsenal will have their hands full on Sunday, that is for sure!

Will Everton get Silva I wonder. If they do will Watford fancy Sean. Just another does of uncertainty!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Will Everton get Silva I wonder. If they do will Watford fancy Sean. Just another does of uncertainty!
    One of the first acts by the Pozzo family on taking over Watford was to sack Sean Dyche. Not sure he would want to go back while they are still in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Evening Alto!

I've seen many instances of clubs paying £££ on improving their squads only to fall on their arses.

Without doubt our team is a perfect example of the whole being more than the sum of it's parts. It is a closely bonded TEAM. If we move away from this strategy, at this time, and it results in a more fragmented squad, with "egos" in the dressing room, then there is no way we could compete at the level we currently are.
    What I would say is that if Sean really wanted to spend money on his targets then he has earned the right to be supported by the board. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that this has happened.

I repeat, which players do you think we should replace? And with who? Should we change our style of play and attempt to "out-football" the other clubs?

Not yet - we are developing nicely.

Evolution not revolution!
    Hi 59_60, I'm not going through who I feel is not up to it and who we should get as I'd be here all day.

Look at it this way, we are 7th looking at all the above, of the above (yes I know we beat Chelsea) do you feel confident in playing all those teams away and most at home in taking all 3 points with the squad we have ?

If you do, you must have Claret tinted eyes never mind glasses, we need to move forward and improve and the only way to do that is invest in better players, I've already said not to bet the ranch as you've stated so many Clubs have and failed, but we Must spend to keep the forward movement going.

BT has said "on Saturday we looked every bit a Premier League powerhouse", we probably did, but look at that opposition, it was very poor, we have had some poor games this season where we looked well below par, even against poorer sides, yes its always a finger biting experience following Burnley, but we must strive to be better.

Bloody hell Alto, I'm glad I don't sit next to you at 'Turf

And I'm glad that your'e not in charge of the purse strings!

If Sean told the board that he needs a couple of new players and identifies them then by all means give him the brass.

But the type of player Sean brings in are not the ego driven £££ superstars that Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City go for. He realises that we simply can't compete in that market, hence his more pragmatic approach.

The only way we can compete financially with the big six is to attract a rich benefactor - our current board are nowhere near at the financial level as the current top six.

If we end the season in 7th place will you be grumpy? Personally, if we finish in the top 12 I will be delighted and see it as real progress.

We are not in a position to do a Jack Walker and buy our way into the top six. But, by hell, we are giving a magnificent account of ourselves.

Not very often (if at all!) I agree with a faint hearted LibDem but your analysis is pretty much spot on Mr Vince Cable think-alike.

Freddie Ulvestad, Scott Arfield and perhaps even young Danny Agyei might all be off in January and I am sure two top notchers in the Dyche mould will be brought in.

I actually believe SD is the custodian of the key to the Dry Powder Room and he is proud of it!

Just a reminder: We are currently SEVENTH in the EPL, with Arsenal visiting us next!

With a chance of being at least 6th and maybe 4th with a win. Now if only we had beaten west Brom!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)