+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The value of a manager

The value of a manager

Was listening to talksport today and they were discussing Marco Silva and compensation Watford may demand for compensation from should he go to Everton. The fee they were talking about was around 13m. From what I've read our we would get about 3m for Sean. Both figures seem very small when you compare with the cost of players, Micheal Keane at 30m. Surely a manager who is hopefully going to set the clubs future up like Sean has done here has a bigger value to his club. Anybody have any thoughts ?

Speculation by media on Salaries and get out clauses are generally guesses, occasionally a few will be spot on, but IMO not many.

I found it laughable initially when some newspaper said Everton would double Dyche's wages to £2 million per year when some Burnley players are on more than £1 a year, it just doesn't make sense players at BFC earning more than the Manager, same with this talksport (who I don't rate Dave) saying 13 Mill comp for Silva and 3 Mill for Dyche, out of the 2 I know who most would like and be worth more.

The figures mentioned for Silva are probably correct but I agree with Dave, they are ridiculously small, and certainly in the case of Dyche, who is almost single handedly responsible for bringing in an extra £100m per annum to the club. On that basis I'd have no problem paying him £10m a year, such is his value to the club.

I don't think the media are intelligent enough in their headline grabbing discourse.

At Burnley there is now in place a full time recruitment team. I have no doubt whatsoever SD tells them what type of player he wants.

When the player is targeted, the moneymen consider the financial implications and off we go.

SD has admitted he is still on a learning curve but it is possible to witness his improving tactical acumen in how he sets us up and his much improved tactical use of substitutes.

I'm not at all sure if Silva is a better all round manager than SD? SD for me any day of the week!

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    The figures mentioned for Silva are probably correct but I agree with Dave, they are ridiculously small, and certainly in the case of Dyche, who is almost single handedly responsible for bringing in an extra £100m per annum to the club. On that basis I'd have no problem paying him £10m a year, such is his value to the club.
    I share the sentiment Sinkov.
    That would make him the third highest paid manager in world football according to this
    Pep on £15M
    Jose £14M
    Ancelotti £9.8M

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/hi...ball-managers/

However when was Pardew at Benfica on £2M - presume it’s Palace
    Sean doesn’t make the top 20 with that also Benfica being paid £1.5M

A more recent list include Chinese teams and puts Lippi on £18M Top and Vills Boas on £11M in 5th so Sean would be sixth

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-hi...yern-munich-12

Looking to see what managers earn I saw that Burnley have had 34 managers since 1885 according to the Football League Managers Association website.

An average of almost 4 years each.
    Terms before 1970 were usually over 4 years as a minimum

An interesting read here. I had forgotten Billy Douglas came between Brown and Potts. Haworth had 5 years of war in his term.

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/manage...=&finish_year=

Sean is 9th longest serving manager here so far but could be 3rd quite soon ... if he behaves

John Haworth 14 (11-25)
    Harry Potts 12 (58-70) +2 (77-79j
    Albert Pickles 7 (25-32)
    Spen Whittaker 7 (03-10)
    Stan Ternent 6 (98-04)
    Jimmy Adamson 6 (70-76)
    Frank Hill 6 (48-54)
    Jimmy Mullen 5 (91-96)

Just looking back at that list OC and it's incredible to think that Harry was manager from 58 to 70, possibly the best 12 years of my life, possibly the best 12 years of BFC's existence, yet I hardly knew him. He was a shadowy figure who sat in the dug out wearing a gaberdine mac, he wrote a bland piece in the programme.......and that was it, apart from encroaching on the pitch at Parc Des Princes, he virtually didn't exist. Nothing on TV, nothing on the radio, nothing in the dailys, just the occasional statement in the LET with injury news. Compare that with the high profile Sean has in a fan's life today and we don't live in a different world now, we're on a different planet.

All things have changed so much in our lifetime Sinks. Football at the top level unrecognisable from the sixties. Global media, so much hype. It's glamorous stuff, but behind the scenes we have it right, giving us the platform to keep making progress. Point I was making was that the manager value compared to players is completely disproportionate. A player is only 1/11th of a team, yet the manager, particularly in the case of Sean is worth only 1/10th of Michael Keane. Can't be right.......

Palace have had 22 managers since 2000 - strong and stable leadership

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)