+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Michael Miles, and Little Joe and Hoss Cartwright.

Michael Miles, and Little Joe and Hoss Cartwright.

All of them died quite young, when you would have expected their ages to be higher.
    Poor old Hoss, the big lummock, was only 43 when he kicked the bucket, Little Joe was 54, and "old" Michael Miles just 51.
    It's a sobering thought that people who were much older than us when we were kids never lived anywhere near as long as us.
    Lennon,40, Elvis 42,(old Hoss was in better shape than him) Peter Sellars,50.

Who do you remember who has died years ago and wasn't as old as you thought, and how old do you expect to be when you peg out?
    Last edited by WBA1955; 18-11-2017 at 09:37 AM.

I don't think Lennon should really make the list. May as well chuck Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe and Curt Cobain into the mix if you include Lennon.

My dad. Gone at 49.

My dad was 69, he was fine in the May, gone in the September. One grandad was 66 the other 73.
    I am 62.

But don't let that worry you, i plan to stick around for a bit yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    My dad was 69, he was fine in the May, gone in the September. One grandad was 66 the other 73.
    I am 62.

But don't let that worry you, i plan to stick around for a bit yet.
    And more power to you '55

I remember Lillian Board the athlete dying of cancer in 1970 aged just 22,I was 9 at the time.

That summer she'd broken her own personal best of 4.44 for the mile and within six months cancer had claimed her.

I was a very decent runner in my late 20's and I can assure anyone who's never run seriously that breaking 5 minutes for a mile,even for a bloke is a hell of a task and although I never timed myself at that distance I doubt I ever broke 5 minutes!

I remember her death being a big deal at the time and thinking that she looked about 35,I was shocked to find in later years she was only 22.

Reginald Bosenquet was only 51.....I thought he was 70+ yet I've outlived him by 5 years already and dear old Eric Morcambe was just 58 yet seemed yonks older.

My dad made it to 67......I'm still out jogging 5 miles most days of the weeks and I firmly believe I can make it to 100+ as I'm like my mum and she's a very fit 79.

Watching the Pulis Albion may fore shorten that though.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I remember Lillian Board the athlete dying of cancer in 1970 aged just 22,I was 9 at the time.

That summer she'd broken her own personal best of 4.44 for the mile and within six months cancer had claimed her.

I was a very decent runner in my late 20's and I can assure anyone who's never run seriously that breaking 5 minutes for a mile,even for a bloke is a hell of a task and although I never timed myself at that distance I doubt I ever broke 5 minutes!

I remember her death being a big deal at the time and thinking that she looked about 35,I was shocked to find in later years she was only 22.

Reginald Bosenquet was only 51.....I thought he was 70+ yet I've outlived him by 5 years already and dear old Eric Morcambe was just 58 yet seemed yonks older.

My dad made it to 67......I'm still out jogging 5 miles most days of the weeks and I firmly believe I can make it to 100+ as I'm like my mum and she's a very fit 79.

Watching the Pulis Albion may fore shorten that though.
    Exactly my point Mick, we reach a certain age and then Coppers and Doctors look like kids.
    Tragedy about Lillian Board i remember it so well, we had just got back from an Albion game when we heard, so young everything to live for.
    People get the wrong impression of me, they might imagine me to drink and smoke a lot. I started smoking when i was 14 and packed in at 19. Never touched another until i was 58 and have quit again now.
    I drank like any normal youth until i got married, then rarely, now just at weekends in the local with friends, and then only a few pints.
    I walk with work and leisure, about 10-15 miles a day.

But, i am no more guaranteed a longer life than anyone else.

Enjoy your life and whatever makes you happy.
    Life is too short.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)