+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burton 1 United 3 - report

Burton 1 United 3 - report

The Blades hit the summit of the Championship again as they saw off struggling Burton at the Pirelli Stadium on Friday evening. The win was a deserved one and even though United were not as scintillating as they have been in recent weeks; they still were far superior to a really poor Brewers outfit. Two goals from Billy Sharp were sandwiched by the goal of the night from Matty Palmer from the home side before Paul Coutts suffered a horrendous looking injury that has now been confirmed as season ending. United missed further chances to seal the win before finally Leon Clarke continued his rich vein of form by nodding home a clincher. United fans trooped out of the stadium rather disconsolately which was bizarre considering their side had gone top of the league with another resounding victory. The Coutts injury was a sickener and put a huge dampener on the evening.

Manager Wilder sprang what may have been considered a surprise change to some of the 1,800 Blades in attendance by bringing back Jamal Blackman in goal after his recent injury. However, Simon Moore’s part in the goal against Hull and Blackman’s impressive form prior to his own error at QPR; meant the big Chelsea loanee was brought straight back. The rest of the side was unchanged from the win against Hull. Burton had a number of Blades connections with of course the former management team of Clough and Garner on the side-lines and ex Blades academy product Kyle McFadzean also starting. There was no place for another ex-Blade, John Braford, who was injured once again.

The game began in scrappy fashion at the compact stadium with United playing in a resplendent all white strip under the lights. Fleck and Coutts tried to link and the away side as expected saw most of the early ball and forced an early corner that came to nothing. Burton tried to get in but Carter Vickers was alert to clear from Sordell.

On 10 minutes United went in front. Fleck nipped in and played a lovely through ball to Sharp who was in on goal albeit at a slight angle. McFadzean clumsily brought him down and it was as clear a penalty as could see. The double jeopardy rule maybe meant he would not see a red as Sharp was at a slight angle but it did seem he was the last man and to see no card whatsoever was incredible. SHARP dusted himself down and took the kick and unusually for him, went high up but it was smashed home convincingly beating Bywater comfortably.

Settled by this goal, United started to move it around well with both O’Connell and Carter Vickers both finding themselves advanced wide and then Stevens and Basham also getting into the last third. United won a corner and from Coutts’ delivery O’Connell headed home but the referee had spotted a push and the whistle had gone a fair bit before the ball hit the net to be fair. Soon after lovely football saw Stevens play Sharp in who in turn found Clarke who went past Turner but his shot hit the side netting. Dyer was struggling and had picked up a knock and was replaced by Akins before Warnock scythed down the rampaging Clarke with both players needing treatment. The Burton man came off worse but when he eventually got up was rightly given a yellow card!

Carter Vickers had an effort and then Clarke hit a low shot that was routine for Bywater as the Blades now seemed in complete control but out of the blue an equaliser came. Burton had not really had any efforts on goal but a superb strike drew them level. PALMER advanced forward and with no challenge coming opted to try his luck. His shot arrowed into the top corner giving Blackman no chance. Maybe he could have been closed down but sometimes you have to just give credit to the opposition player and it was some strike.

United’s character and resolve under Wilder is clear and it was in abundance straight after this leveller, as United went straight up the other end and scored again! Carter Vickers put the ball through and Duffy may have edged the ball on; SHARP was somehow completely unmarked and clearly onside and he ran unopposed before calmly stroking it past Bywater to restore United’s lead.

With 10 minutes to go of the half, United looked to press home the initiative further and a lovely team move saw the ball eventually played to Clarke who curled an effort that looked all the world as if it was destined for the net but hit the inside of the post and bounced back into the arms of the grateful Bywater.

It was all United now and Duffy fired a shot over the bar as four minutes of stoppage time started; before another good move saw the ball played across and Coutts hit a shot that was cleared by a defender right in front of Bywater. As Coutts hit the shot he seemed to get caught by Sordell as he hit the shot. It was clear it was a nasty one as he beat the turf and players from both teams called out for immediate attention from medical staff. The stretcher was called and with oxygen being used; you knew it was a really bad one. Pictures emerging on mobile phones soon after confirmed the gravitas of the situation. Lundstram came on to replace Coutts just before the half time whistle a few minutes later.

The second half saw United seem a bit scrappy and maybe were affected by the bad injury and the game became fragmented. Burton did not have any real chances but were having more of the ball as United became sloppy. Still one move saw Duffy in towards goal and his shot seemed goal bound but was blocked by a defender with some crying out for use of the hand.

Burton had their best spell around the hour mark with Carter Vickers blocking Lund and then Akins shooting over when well placed. Blackman took two high balls showing his command of his area and then Wright made a timely block also. Burton won a couple of corners and were now well in a game, that United had controlled for long periods.

Brooks came on for Sharp with 20 minutes to go and immediately showed his quick feet in a move down the right. United started to get more control of the ball and Stevens nearly got in twice down the left. Fleck was now getting on the ball more and starting to wrestle back control of midfield. Duffy moved the ball to Fleck and his cross was prefect for CLARKE to stoop and conquer. His low header was perfectly placed into the corner past the despairing dive of Bywater. Clarke ran off to celebrate in front of the jubilant Blades fans packed behind the goal and to the side in the seats as the victory was now surely sealed.

United were now in complete control of the game and Burton looked a beaten side. Brooks showed delightful skill to knock the ball past the defender one way and go around him the other way and was in on goal but pulled his shot wide when many behind the goal expected the newly capped youngster to bury it.

Duffy came off with applause from all four sides of the ground; as Carruthers took his place. Three minutes of stoppage time were played but United saw this out easily and returned to the summit of the table. It had clearly been a mixed night with the Coutts injury taking a big shine off the victory.

United – Odd night. Another good win and another fairly assured performance but the Coutts injury almost made it feel like a defeat and it was a real sickener and to lose him for the season is a massive blow and could have a huge impact on what potentially could have been another glorious season and perhaps an unthinkable back to back promotion (more on that later).

We were not as good as we have been but still in patches played some great stuff. I would say we were better at Forest and against Norwich; games we lost and were not near the level of some recent performances. However, we scored 3 goals and could have had 2 or 3 more. Blackman barely had a save to make and their goal was a wonder strike. Even a poor spell second half, Burton did not trouble us that much. Indeed, if we had been a bit surer as we attacked and the final ball a bit better, it could have been a hammering for an abysmal Burton side. At times the passing was good and we cut through a poor side but at other times we got a bit sloppy. I thought the defence played well and after a few dodgy mistakes early, all 3 were very good and I felt that was Carter Vickers best game I have seen him have. Blackman was very assured also and showed it was the right decision to bring him back.

Sharp and Clarke continue to defy those that said they were too old/not good enough for the Championship. The latter was tireless again and the former showed his finishing prowess. The rest of the team were ok, they were decent to good but not as outstanding as they have been. I though Duffy had a quieter game and Fleck made the third but he was a bit up and down. Coutts going off disrupted us for a spell second half but we got back control. We were clearly as Clough admitted, the much better side and at times still bossed proceedings. You can tell how confident the players are and they all went to be on the ball. Love the fact for the most part we don’t just boot it clear and try and pass it even out of tight corners at the back. All the defence did this. Even Blackman!

Hopefully we can get Baldock back soon and allow Basham to go in the centre but we will really miss Coutts. For me he is and has been our best player over the last season or so and most influential player. Sharp and Fleck got all the plaudits last year but Coutts makes us tick. Him being out for the season and question marks over injuries with him before; is a major blow. No player is irreplaceable but he is the one in the side we do not have anyone like him really. He will be missed and I am not sure in the current squad anyone is even close to his level or can do his job so we need to get through next month or so and hope in 6 weeks the board really back Wilder. I think we may just put Basham into the midfield and maybe Fleck will drop back a bit in his role. He has the ability to be able to pick it up and pass it on even though he is not same sort of player. I think him, Basham and Duffy will be the three although maybe in some home games Lundstram or Carruthers may get opportunities. Neither have convinced for me. Carruthers showed flashes but is not consistent and most importantly both are too careless with the ball. They also do not move around the pitch as well as Coutts. Both physically get shoved off ball more too, which is odd considering Lundstram’s size. The drop off was clear last night as Lundstram just punted it quite a few times and looked almost winded/tired long before the end. He needs to seize his chance but other than an ok showing v Ipswich, not been that impressed I have to say. He is quite slow and as I say gives the ball away too much. Hope he can prove me wrong and take his chance but as I say I would bring Bash into the midfield when Baldock is hopefully fit.

Moving forward there has already been talk of who may come in to replace Coutts if we sign someone which I think we need to do. The form of Clarke means striking area is not as much a concern but we still need someone up there with pace but we may now have to throw all our eggs into one basket in terms of funds and make that fulcrum in midfield a priority. I would love Ryan Woods from Brentford but he has a long contract and thus his situation is different to the others that Birmingham snared from Griffin Park as they all only had a year left on their contract and Brentford sell them normally if that is the case. We may go back in for the lad Quina at West Ham maybe but his agent may make that hard and also heard Mourinho was sniffing around him! A left field suggestion could be former Blade Kevin McDonald (but not sure Fulham would sell). He is a Coutts type (not as good) who can pick the ball up from defence and carry it forward. The lad Swift at Reading is a good player but a more attacking midfielder. There is also Ben Pearson at Preston. I have a feeling Wilder will go back for Leonard though at Southend as fee would be nominal. I would be surprised if we really splashed the cash but I think we may need to now and go for a top, proven player.

We have two very winnable home games in a week. Fulham and Birmingham both have some talent and are a lot lower down than they should be but if we play like we can; even with Coutts out (remember Ipswich) we can still win both games of course. We need to start well as we often do and impose ourselves. They are two opponents who have some flair players but I think if you get stuck in, pressure them and do what we do best, we can overpower them both. It is a great chance to really cement our top two position but the team need the crowd with the loss of a key player to really drive them on.

Burton – Awful side I felt. Two years ago, an abject side led by Adkins limped to a pathetic 1-0 defeat to Burton at the Lane. We were turgid that night and the sight of that idiot Garner thumping the Bramall Lane air was painful. Two years on and the same management duo, wearing those ridiculously bright white trainers they always seem to wear, presided over a side that were well beaten by a confident, vibrant and exciting United side. Even Clough could probably not believe this was the same club.

Burton have a largely very old side and many that the term journeyman has to be applied to. Many seem to be players that’s best days (if they had any) are behind them and the likes of Bywater, Buxton and Warnock really are doing well to still be at this level. They have a few decent players and I was glad to see Dyer go off, who can be a threat but many others Cordell, Turner, McFadzean are poor players. The lad Murphy was a talent at Crewe but never established himself at Leeds and I do think the two lads they got from Rochdale Lund and Allen are decent players but again are they Championship standard? Palmer scored a decent goal and was maybe their stand out.

They did not play much football and looked like they could be got at any time. You can see why they are on such a losing streak at home. I suppose away they can set up more defensive and pay on the break with the pace of Dyer, Akins and Sordell. I see nothing but a season of real struggle and the fear is the home form is so bad that eventually they will not pick up the wins they have away and then you cannot see where the wins would come from. I expect them to go down to be honest and the only thing that could save them is if they are three worse teams but some such as Bolton and Millwall have picked up so you struggle to see three worse sides as you feel Sunderland and Birmingham under new managers will pick up a bit also.

Opposition Man of the Match: Not sure there was any that really stood out. The lad Murphy showed a few good touches but probably Palmer if just for his superb goal alone. He did actually run at us a bit in an otherwise very slow and static side.

Opposition Weak link – You could name a few really. The defence was awful and we looked like we could carve them open at will. The lad Turner was very awkward and slow and McFadzean was equally bad. Some Blades were desperate to sign him a few years ago but saw tonight we have moved on from that level. He was really poor and the penalty summed him up. The second goal where we just went through a big gap in the defence was frighteningly bad. However, the worst player has to be Stephen Warnock. A player that has once represented his country; he looked a tired player who looks ready for the knacker’s yard. He was slow, off the pace, his touch was bad and he lost his man constantly as shown on the third goal when he took his eye off Clarke at the back post.

Blackman 7/10 – I was pleased he came back as despite what happened at QPR he has been excellent. He showed that again tonight. Had no chance on the goal and although he did not have another save of note to make; he was dominant and took a lot of high balls or came to the edge of his area. He looks so imposing and this makes a big difference. Felt at total ease with him in goal tonight and gives is that big, commanding presence.

Basham 7/10 – Steady-ish performance. I was concerned that Dyer was against him as he is a nippy winger who has caused teams problems but he went off quite early. After this the lad that came on Akins is not as fleet footed and Basham played him quite well. Got forward when he could and caused a few problems going the other way. Hopefully he will be back in midfield or central defence soon though.

Stevens 7/10 – As with Bash; fine. Did his job defensively and was able to make a few tackles and interceptions. Got forward when he could and second half found himself well placed a few times. Put in a great cross near the end that evaded everyone. He has been a superb addition.

Wright 7/10 – Just a normal Jake Wright performance where he stepped in and won the ball and then gave it to others. Made one error second half which led to a corner with the back pass but other than that he was fine and he also got a good block in when they had their little spell.

Carter Vickers 8/10 – Thought he was excellent tonight. He started with a misjudged clearance but then got stronger and stronger and was rock solid. Won headers, tackles but also used the ball well. Read the play well and stepped in to see off danger a number of occasions. He also had an assist of sorts on the second goal with a good ball through. Really impressed with him and for a 19-year-old looked like a seasoned veteran. On current form he will continue to keep Stearman out of the side.

O’Connell 7.5/10 – Played well and often surging forward too. He was involved a lot first half down the left-hand side. He got on the ball a lot and always looked to play to feet. He made a few good blocks too. Delighted he has committed his long-term future to the club. He will wonder how he has not scored this season though after some guilt edged chances and a few disallowed goals!

Coutts 7/10 – Began the game quiet but started to get on the ball and impose himself. He was involved in many of our moves out of defence and linked defence to attack. Range of passing as normal. He then of course nearly scored when he got took out. An awful moment. Just hope he comes back from it as I have concerns over his history of injuries previously but daft as it sounds a leg fracture/break can be less of a concern than a muscle or ligament injury. Just depends how the fracture was and how the operation goes. Might be me and complete guesswork but I would not be surprised if we saw him before the end of the season but the timeline for injury is 4-6 months so maybe not.

Fleck 7/10 – He was involved in the penalty with the pass and made the third. He showed his abilities on the ball and nipped in and made some good interceptions too. His overall passing was a bit mixed at times but he came to life second half and started to get on the ball more and impose himself. He now needs to shoulder the load in midfield. As well as he is playing, he may need to up his game even more now.

Duffy 6.5/10 – Not quite as good as he has been but still involved in a lot of the good things we did. Some nice link work and clever passes. Always wanting to get on the ball. He had three efforts where he will have been disappointed. One where he fired over first half, another where he maybe took a bit long and then had his shot blocked (handballed!) when it was a really good chance and then another when he cut in and twisted and turned but he fell over rather than being fouled.

Sharp 7.5/10 – Two goals and always a threat first half playing on the shoulders of the last defender. He was always buzzing in and around and got in to win the penalty. He assisted Clarke a few times too and then scored a really cool second goal. He linked well with Clarke and you felt he could score more. Would have been a bit frustrated to come off but it was the right move as we needed fresh legs and they had seen more of the ball.

Clarke 7.5/10 – Another hard-working display where he ran and chased and put so much effort in. On another day he may have had another hat trick. Hit the post and had one shot saved and another into the side netting. Took his goal when it came really well with a neat and brave header. Linked well with others in some good moves. Playing really well at the moment.

Subs:

Lundstram – Got a lot of criticism on the terraces near me. Did he play well? Sadly, he did not and was one of our weaker players. He gave it away a lot and nearly set them up twice with telegraphed passes. He is slow to turn and needs to react better. He is not bad on the ball but seems to want more time than he has. Now will maybe get a run on the side and needs to up his game and prove his qualities. I am not criticising him for the sake of it; just not seen much that makes me thing he is a player who can play regularly at the top end of the league. Hope he proves me wrong.

Brooks – Brought on and showed his normal box of tricks with some flicks and bits of skill. Main thing is though he creates space and also runs at defenders. The one run where he beat his man and shot wide (he will have been disappointed) was superb skill. See it near the end of the video here. http://www.skysports.com/football/bu...eff-utd/374812
    You can see his confidence increasing. I think he may start one of the two home games in the next week but then who do you leave out of Duffy, Brooks and Clarke! What a dilemma Wilder has but a great one.

Carruthers – Not seen him for a while but came on at the end for Duffy. Expect we will see more of him now either starting or from the bench.

Manager: Wilder 8/10 – Another win and another game where we were for the most part at it. We were good first half and after a sloppy start, we controlled it and scored two and could have had more. We opened them up and looked very good. Even though not at our best at times, we still won quite easily. He made the big call of bringing back Blackman. Shows he makes the big decisions and picks who he feels. He also made the call to bring on Brooks for Sharp even though he was on a hat trick and his worked as it stretched a tiring Burton side. Probably his biggest job was raising the team after the Coutts injury and at half time it would have been hard but after a sticky spell, we came out of it and cruised to the win again. He is doing a fantastic job. We are a team. We are United but we have some damn fine players. All this garbage some other fans are spouting about it just being momentum and players playing for each other, is nonsense. Yes, those factors play into things but we are a good team and at the moment the table (albeit Wolves may go ahead us by the time some of you read this) says we are the best side in the league.

Officials – Oliver Langford had a bad night. He is rightly getting a lot of heat from Blades fans for not punishing Sordell with the award of a foul (penalty) or even a red card. In real time I saw Coutts hit a shot and almost kick through the ball and as he did the contact came. It was instant and Coutts kicked his leg towards the Burton player as he shot. It was really unfortunate and a freak injury but I did not see it as the Burton player coming in and taking him out a la Ainsworth with Whitehouse and felt it was more a block challenge. However, I have to say I have watched it back and it was an awful tackle and the ball had long gone. I was wrong on what I felt I saw at the time. He caught him high and late. I can only think he did not give it as a red card as the ball had gone but it still is a red card.

The rest of the game he somehow failed to give McFadzean even a yellow on the penalty award. That was just bizarre. I felt Burton were niggly and quite dirty all night and the fact they only got one booing for another cynical foul (Warnock) was amazing really. They were more clumsy (other than the Coutts one) but they should have been censured more than they were. I felt we had a few fouls (recall a Fleck one and another on Duffy) when we strangely played on. Not sure the Duffy one was a penalty second half though -seemed minimal contact on that one. There was a better one when Duffy’s shot hit his hand and the player seemed to move his hand towards it. He just got a lot more of the big ones wrong tonight but overall, he missed too much.

Crowd / Day Out– Got to Burton via Derby on the train after I finished work. I met my mate en route who was on the same train coming through from Nottingham – nice packed 2 carriage train at peak time on a Friday on a fairly popular rout you would think (Notts to Derby).

I have never been to Burton before and was instantly met by the pungent smell of hops from the various huge breweries. Although smelt of curries a lot and they seemed to have a lot of Indians dotted around the town. It reminded me of Worksop a bit…maybe a bit better Worksop which is a bit of a hole (Apologies to Worksopians of which my Mother is currently one).

Not the most salubrious of places although the square near the town hall was quite nice. We went to the Last Heretic; a micropub and had a nice blonde(!) pale ale (no idea what it was called) and then headed to Coopers Tavern right by the Coors brewery and had another nice craft beer in there. After this we headed into town and after some food we went to two pretty dire places, The Dog and The Old Royal Oak in the market square before taking a stroll (30 minutes at pace) to the ground down quite a boring long road.

The ground itself is not the best. They may have been delighted with it when in non-league and it is smart enough but is small and quite limited in facilities. The toilets were so overcrowded although the bar in the ground which is a room is a nice touch with TV screens etc but we could not get in as it was packed and shut at 7.15pm which is odd.

As for inside, there are 3 terraces and one stand (what ever happened to ground having to be all seater at the top 2 divisions – anyone know the ruling- is there even one anymore?). I quite liked being able to stand and we got a decent spot near the back behind the goal. Although if you are short (luckily, I am 6 feet +) then you have to pick your man/woman in front well! Good atmosphere in the ground but a bit muted after the injury and good to see Coutts get a chant even at the end. United fans were positive throughout mainly although Lundstram got a bit of stick round me. Second half we all got a bit frustrated as we could see how bad Burton were but United could not quite finish them off. The constant shout of ‘Pig!’ at Bywater was a bit annoying after a while. Fine maybe once or twice but some seem more bothered about berating him than getting behind our own players for a period (he barely even played for Wednesday). It was a nice feeling when the third went in and sealed it.

After the game we went down a different long road back and then went back to the Heretic for a drink before getting the train to derby and then going to the lovely Brunswick Inn near the station for a few beers. Saw my mate off to Nottingham just after arguing with a chip shop that had no chips before eventually getting train half past midnight back to Sheffield. Got back in sometime after 1.30am but a good night. Nice to go to an away game on a Friday night (I did not go to Leeds). I won’t be at Preston or Millwall (may watch ‘online’) due to other commitments those weekends and Villa is on Sky. Hope to be back going away after Xmas though. At least I have broken my streak as outside of the TV games I watched away; that is my first win in four away games.