+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Defending for Fulham goal

Cool Defending for Fulham goal

Not sure people will agree but Why didn't we put players behind the three Fulham guys who joined our wall? They ducked and left a huge gap for the free kick to fly past Carson and did anyone notice Carson putting three finger up to his defenders, presumably asking the same question?

Yes Bloomer I was right behind it there were fans around me predicting what would happen Even saying who was going to hit it very naive defending indeed

Can someone tell me why we cannot control the midfield . We have experienced expensive midfielders but I struggle to think of many games this season where we have bosses the midfield and had sustained pressure on the opposition. Always seem to be on the back foot. Is it the players ,system ,formation or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Salopian0 View Post
    Can someone tell me why we cannot control the midfield . We have experienced expensive midfielders but I struggle to think of many games this season where we have bosses the midfield and had sustained pressure on the opposition. Always seem to be on the back foot. Is it the players ,system ,formation or what.
    Because we have 2 players in MF playing a defensive role. The opposition play 3, 4 or even 5 in MF. Simply outnumbered with far too much space between the front 4 and the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Because we have 2 players in MF playing a defensive role. The opposition play 3, 4 or even 5 in MF. Simply outnumbered with far too much space between the front 4 and the rest.
    As Rowett cannot have missed this tactically,what you are saying is that the players must be told to bypass the midfield and play long ball or long passes through to forwards .we do seem compact defensively in midfield though.

Quote Originally Posted by Salopian0 View Post
    As Rowett cannot have missed this tactically,what you are saying is that the players must be told to bypass the midfield and play long ball or long passes through to forwards .we do seem compact defensively in midfield though.
    As I wrote on another thread, we play a keeper, 4 defenders, 2 DMs, 2 wide men, a number 10 and a striker. Where is the Attacking Midfielder. Where is the link between defence and attack? We don't have it.

We need a) Bryson back or a similar player in b) stop playing 2 DMs c) change system

With the players we have we could easily play a 1-3-2-3-2

The 1 would be Carson with Mitchell as more than adequate cover

The back 3 Baird/Wisdom on the right - Keogh/Davies in the centre - Fozzy/Olly left

The 2 could be any two from Hudds/Ledley/BJ/Hanson with GT a huge possibility but I would use him differently

MF 3 choose any 2 from Lawro/Weimann/JR/Bennett and Anya with GT playing the central role pulling the strings

Up top Nuge and Vyds.

4 banks of players allowing the banks to be no more than 10 to 15 yards apart allowing short sharp passing with the odd long range one. Much easier for players to join the attack/defence as there isn't 30+ yards between the current front 4 and back 7. IMO this system is defensively better than 1-4-4-2 and better in an attacking sense than 1-4-3-3.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)