+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Losing the will to live.

Losing the will to live.

I firmly believe that our players are so weighed down by this defensive mentality that they've more or less given up without realising it.

When I played we used to do some "attack v defence" type training whereby as defenders we would give the ball back to the attackers once we'd repelled their attack but there would be no attacking done by us defenders at all.

It's fun doing this for 15 minutes but once the attackers have notched a couple it's hard to keep up the intensity.

I think that these 30% possession stats have worn our lot down and they are fed up with playing a 10-0-1 formation.

Playing two strikers and knocking the ball long would at least give our defending midfielders and defence some respite whereas at present we constantly give the ball away in the centre circle and have no time to breath.

Gareth Barry must be kicking himself for signing up for these hard yards at his time of life!

This is a very good point. With so little possession we are constantly having to concentrate on keeping our shape and tracking the movement of the opposition. With this happening week in, week out the players must find it very difficult to retain the necessary levels of concentration. I think that this is the reason why we have conceded so many late goals. When a side is in possession and is on the front foot the pressure is off and you are the side asking the questions. Let's face it, we are supposed to be the masters of the defensive system but I haven't seen much of it of late. I don't blame the players as I firmly believe that this constant pressure that we are under has taken its toll.

Attack is the best form of defence. Other teams can't hurt you if you have the ball. Simple rules for a simple game. This was preached by Buckingham, Hagan, Ashman, Giles, Allen, Atkinson and Ardiles, and weren't those years fun?

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Attack is the best form of defence. Other teams can't hurt you if you have the ball. Simple rules for a simple game. This was preached by Buckingham, Hagan, Ashman, Giles, Allen, Atkinson and Ardiles, and weren't those years fun?
    Big fun '55...never expecting to win the league but always expecting to win individual games which we often did...always having a say who would win it...cup runs exciting for the most part with a few horrendous results at times but it was easy to forgive them those because the next week would always be normal service resumed. Yes blue and white striped eyes...but who wants to talk about the dire years.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)