+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to try something new

Time to try something new

They say that one of the signs of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I think of that everytime I see Joselu selected to lead the line. He never scores so why should we be surprised when he fails to score again. He may follow orders and may hold up play well sometimes but a striker who cannot strike is about as much use as a match that doesn't light. It's time to try something new. It's a risk but we've lost three in a row so the worst that can happen is that we lose number four. Here's a suggestion. Put Ritchie and Mitrovic in the middle and use Murphy and Aarons on the wings. I know Ritchie is a natural winger but he can shoot which Joselu can't. I don't see Aarons in training nor have I seen him in the reserves but my memories of him a season or two back, before he was played way out of position as a left back, is that he is fast and can beat players. It may not work but what's happening at the moment isn't working.

It's an interesting idea (as Ando would say) and I think Ritchie would be able to work in the number 10 role in a more effective way than Perez. Hopefully Murphy will take the positives from yesterday and Aarons will have benefited from game time.

However, Rafa will definitely be of the 'it's too early to panic' persuasion and what you've suggested is a pretty radical solution. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gayle start next week but I'd also expect Ritchie to be on the wing and Aarons back on the bench along with Mitro.

whether Mitro (or anybody in that position) plays well, or poorly is immaterial, you can't score less than none, and Hosses Poo scores none. time for a change.

This is true. He works hard and does what Rafa tells him...but he's just not very good.

Would it work with Joselu upfront and Gayle playing the number 10 role behind him?

Gayle's scoring prowess (assuming it comes back with confidence of scoring again) with Joselu's work rate. We'd lose Perez (shame) and his defensive midfield work but might be worth it?

it would be worth trying Joselu off the pitch...

Gayle has a goal now, it would be madness or more importantly unfair not to start him. Even if he doesn't start Gayle I'd much rather see Mitrovic. Don't think I could take another evening of uselessness up front. Said with the utmost respect for Joselu's work rate and lack of ability.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Said with the utmost respect for Joselu's work rate and lack of ability.
    Love it! Damned with the faintest of praise.

Keep it the same for next match but bring in Merino

Is he fit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)