+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Man Utd Thoughts

Man Utd Thoughts

Disappointed with the result for sure, have to say i was surprised with Rafa team selection i was expecting to sit back keep a solid shape and to be very reserved in our attack.

I was actually very impressed with the first 45 minutes and i hope Rafa implements this system against the lower & mid table teams, we counter pretty well and we opened up Man utd a couple times i think if we play like this against the other teams we will pick their defence apart easily i was really impressed with that side of the game.

I think we are missing a Tiote (rip) type player still Merino can play that role but i'd like to see him and shelvey be the play makers and have an energetic DM to run around and break the play up. I think thats where we lost the game in the middle of the park and to be honest we shouldn't overreact we play Man Utd who has one of the best midfielders in the game.

In my opinion Pogba was the difference today, he truly is a world class player and i think we just have to put our hands up and just accept currently Man Utd are better than us and if we commit players forward against a team like that we will get punished and we did, had we scored before half time who knows what could of happened.

I commend Rafa for the system even though we lost i think the players can take confidence from that first 45mins we looked threatening and i hope the fact we lost doesn't stop Rafa from developing this style.

Key Notes

Yedlin- I really rate Yedlin, his pace is a constant threat and it seems his service has improved. Defensively i think he needs to get a bit tighter with the winger, he gets beaten luckily his pace helps him recover but that pace isnt going to be there forever.

Murphy- Hasn't had a great start but i was impressed with him. Every team needs a player that will take players on and try to create opportunities these types of players win games however these players come with mistakes and they will lose the ball occasionally this is just something you have to accept. However he needs to work on his decision making a couple of times he shot when he should of ran etc this just comes with playing more and getting into the flow of the game, id start him next game i think he did enough to warrant another start. If he works on that decision making and the final ball he'll be a great player.

I think we looked better without Perez, i love the guy but Murphy's pace was a problem for that defence.

Overall if Rafa can combine some of that attacking play we had with his usual defence stability we will be a good team, so get the takeover done and pump some money in. The first half of the season we were very strong defensively which is key to building some confidence and contrary to some posters on here it takes more than a year to build a team i think we have showcased we can be solid and hard to breakdown i really hope Rafa keeps trying to attack in the next couple of games if we can develop this side of our team and then mesh both together we will be fine.

I think you sum it all up in that post, for me.
    Very good post.

Pogba, like many oversea’s players, took time to find his feet and on Sat he looked more like the player Juve sold for 90M.

His passing, drive, movement, and attacking play were outstanding.

I thought we weren’t embarrassed and were beaten by a better team with a world class display from a player who was, and again could be, on track to cement a world class reputation.

Add in we were without Lascelles, and they had the attacking talent of Martial and Lukaku... is it any surprise they scored goals?

They deserved the 3 points, but we weren’t as outclassed as the result would indicate.. though certain posters will act as if it is the end of the world i’m sure.

Aye, well said.

I was a lot happier than i thought i'd be after a 4-1 defeat.

We weren't disgraced, our heads didn't drop in the end it was the money they paid for sheer quality of players. Something we're not and can compete with - at the minute.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)