+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the whole united debate

the whole united debate

why do people get wound up about the united debate

surely both manure and sheffield have more right to be called it than us just to the fact they were formed before us ,i apprciate man ure were first someone else

but why

To be honest the united thing means nothing to me.
    I'd rather we were known as Newcastle United or just Newcastle rather than just united. It's a nothing name and stinks of more of a comic book reference.

They can call themselves United if they want for me,the fact it was not their original name and Manchester is obviously not United just makes it an irrelevant name.

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    why do people get wound up about the united debate

surely both manure and sheffield have more right to be called it than us just to the fact they were formed before us ,i apprciate man ure were first someone else

but why

We were also someone else before 1892, they were someone else before 1902. We were two clubs who were United to become one, they made the name up and are not actually United at all.

Do you realise how foolish you look to people reading this forum ?

if any one ever asks me who i support i always say newcastle
    never united

to me manure are more worthy of it as most other supporters call them united

ie were playing united this week
    where with us most go we are playing the toon or newcastle

In my experience they get called Man U up here. It would be wise to check out when they were formed (1902) before starting a thread stating as a 'fact' that they were formed before us (1892)

They have been England's most famous team for 20 years, it's no wonder that people around the world know and refer to them as Manchester United or Man United or even just United.

What puzzles me is that the British pundits also refer to them as simply United when they know that they are not the only team with that word in their name, and thus it is not correct to call them that.

TBH the only time it really bothers me, is when Newcastle United play Manchester United and pundits refer to them as United.

The height of ignorance !

It is a north west thing and Manchester in particular how they distinguish between the clubs. The pundits are referring to Man City as City now. Sheffield United were the first. When I was growing up in the 70s and early/mid 80s they were known as Man U even on old commentary it was nearly always Man U with the odd United. Just like us we were referred to as Newcastle or United. I've always called us United and often shout 'come on United' at the match. Its the sky brigade who have grabbed on to it. The likes of Lineker and Danny Murphy rim them. As Kal says it p1sses me off when its United this and that when they are playing us. Who the feck are they talking about?

I bet it really p1ssed them off when we were singing 'hello hello we are the geordie boys....we all follow United' near the end. I bet the commentators couldn't work out how to respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstonbob View Post
    I bet it really p1ssed them off when we were singing 'hello hello we are the geordie boys....we all follow United' near the end. I bet the commentators couldn't work out how to respond to it.
    I bet they didn't care and now continue to call them United.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)