+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT "For Sale" sign in front of Walker Museum site - Rothbiz?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    If there are Christian burials there wouldn’t the site come under the domain of some diocese somewhere?

Must admit I’m not the most religious of people so my knowledge of the church is severely limited.
    Yes, I've begun to look down that channel too. All roads seem, at least initially, to lead to the United Reform Church (into which the Independent Chapel structure merged) and the Greasbrough United Church which absorbed the congregation.

Hi CT,
    have you tried the local Councillor for Masbro' ?
    It used to be Pat Jarvis & she used to be on the Committee of the Planning Board. Eve Rose-Keenan (Mayor) was also a Cllr for that area, not sure if they still represent Masbro' at present.
    It was well documented in the local Advertiser how that site had been neglected over the years.
    Last edited by Casper64Frank; 22-11-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Hi CT,
    have you tried the local Councillor for Masbro' ?
    It used to be Pat Jarvis & she used to be on the Committee of the Planning Board. Eve Rose-Keenan (Mayor) was also a Cllr for that area, not sure if they still represent Masbro' at present.
    It was well documented in the local Advertiser how that site had been neglected over the years.
    Ive no brains on the legal side of things on the place but what really shocks me is the lack of respect the council have for places like this..im almost sure had the mausoleum been in other towns, it would have been looked after..no, instead, they decide erect "the ears of corn" at the bottom of fenton road, and spend money on a giant town centre television..rotherham by the sea, and many other white elephants..

Hi CT,

you've probably seen the new article from Rothbiz put on their website today.

It says on there that Rothbiz understands the graves and that area won't be altered.

This restricted covenant seems a little complex, good luck in achieving your aims.

You're not related to E.H are you CT ?

Hi CT,

It says on there that Rothbiz understands the graves and that area won't be altered.

This restricted covenant seems a little complex, good luck in achieving your aims.

The stuff in my article about the covenant came second hand from the Rotherham Heritage Association.

It definitely is a complex legal situation. Especially when you factor in the 1968 Agreement between the Chapel
    Trustees and the former County Borough Council around managing the burial ground.

http://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2017/11/new...-for-sale.html

Apparently the chapel was sold to a private buyer in around 2010 for just £25,000.

Wonder how much the insurance paid out?!

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Wonder how much the insurance paid out?!
    There's no way they will pay out until the circumstances are investigated

Ttf
    Hi CT,

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions and the general support, C64F. I just flew back to the U.S. yesterday so will start to do some more digging around in the next few days and hopefully Kerr Avon might be able to respond to my follow up questions. Croglin has also emailed the property agents which might produce something useful.

I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this but my thinking is on two fronts: what can be done to make sure the covenant isn't allowed to be compromised in any way and the gravesite is ring-fenced in any sale deal; is there scope for the site to be bought by some kind of public subscription so that it is perhaps maintained as a usable open space. A bit difficult to do anything from 5500 miles away and I don't have pds175,000 spare to buy the site. It may of course be that there are other bodies looking into achieving similar objectives which would be great.

I can't think of anybody I know with the initials E H that I'm related to so I'm probably not your man!

Unable to put any links up atm.
    The one Brin mentions could be...
    http://www.walkermausoleum.co.uk

There are some pics on there of the interior in its heyday also some of the historical plaques that have been lost forever.

Unfortunately it also shows how antisocial behaviour & fly-tipping helped to ruin that area.

CT, depending who/ if anyone buys that land just keep an eye out for any future planning application, object if you don't agree with them.
    Quite a few planning applications in the past have been turned down for that site.

EDIT: I think the link actually works, surprising really cos this site continously logs me out for no apparent reason.
    Last edited by Casper64Frank; 24-11-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast